1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple workbooks

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by anoisaris, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anoisaris

anoisaris Thread Starter

Hi all,

Working with excel 2000 on winNT, I wish to open two different workbooks and be able to access each of them from the task-bar. Basically when I open an excel file it appears on the task-bar, and when I open another excel file I would like it to also appear on the task-bar so I can alt-tab between them. How do you do it?
    Hope I am making sense.

thks in advance
    Dave

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

Although I've never been able to either understand this issue or get it to do anything much for me, you might want to have a look at Tools -- Options -- View -- (Show) Windows in Taskbar.

HTH,
    Andy

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

So how do you view them XLG ? With a single button?

Once I got used to having separate buttons on the task bar for each workbook - it was frustrating to have it the other way.

Often I am flying back and forth between two WBs while editing them and it is surely convenient to have them down there to click!

- Castleheart :cool:

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

This feature first appeared in XL 2000. Prior to that you had to swap via the window drop down

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> Often I am flying back and forth between two WBs ...
    >> ... swap via the window drop down

I just use CTRL+Tab.

Rgds,
    Andy

6. y2kdaddio

y2kdaddio

Can't you just open two instances of Excel, then open the each workbook in each instance? Right click on the task bar and tile the windows.

7. DaveBurnett

Can't you just open two instances of Excel, then open the each workbook in each instance? Right click on the task bar and tile the windows.
    No. Excel will only allow 1 instance running.

8. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I am not sure that is the case, Dr. Burnett,

Though it could be just a manipulation of Excel, you can indeed start two separate windows of EXCEL2000. CTRL-ALT-DEL views them as two instances of EXCEL running so it appears to me to be so. Now, maybe it's smoke and mirrors and in the background it is only churning one program - I'm not sure - but the effect is what the daddio suggested.

If you just need to flip back and forth quickly, you can just click the buttons on the task bar to toggle between windows ( if you have the Show Windows in Taskbar" option selected ), or as Andy pointed out, CTRL TAB

If you need two windows side by side to view - you can open EXCEL twice and see both files at once. One for your left eye and one for your right. :rolleyes:

- Castleheart

9. DaveBurnett

I did originally say that this feature is 2000 onwards. It depends on how you open the second one. If you double click on an associated file it opens a second window and display a second tab.It is still only one instance.
    If you specifically open a second occurence with a blank sheet it does start a second instance. I will see what it does on 97.

10. DaveBurnett

Same on 97

11. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

How bout on 3.1 Dave ?

Juuuuuuuusssssst kidding!!!! :D - C

12. DaveBurnett

That would be Excel 2.0. Strangely I set up a 3.11 just last week. I have the disks for that version of office if you really want to know.

13. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

14. lora_3677

lora_3677

and WHY did you install windows 3.11?! isn't that prehistoric.. lol

15. DaveBurnett

I was setting it up on a RAM disk to run some old software under DOS 6.22. I Also set it up under DOS 7 as an emergency recovery disk for Ghost, Partition Magiic. Norton etc. I wanted the File Manager, Find file, and Text Processing features available in Windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice