1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple xp installs?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jakewade, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

hey guys and gals,

first, i have purchased a new computer for my kids with windows xp as the operating system and i get the "old" computer to use as my work computer.

i have transferred and saved all the data i needed from the old computer to the new computer(networked) and have formatted the old harddrive. my operating system was a 98se upgrade over a 95 os install and i was planning to reload 95 and then the 98se upgrade.

my question is: can i use my copy of xp to load as my os on the old computer instead of the 95/98se combo. i was told by the guy who helped me with my initial network link up that my xp is only good on the computer that it was loaded on ( by the company that put my machine together and registered the os). others have told me otherwise.

also i was wondering if i have "enough" computer to use xp effectively. the old computer has an amd k6-2- 500 cpu with 328 megs. of pc 100 ram on a gbt ga-5aa motherboard.

as always, any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated,

thanks,

jmw

2. Dan O

Dan O

You have the resources needed to run XP but you will need another copy. A different Activation code is requried for each PC. With the Windows 98SE Upgrade CD you don't have to install 95 first. Install 98 and will will prompt for the location of the old Windows, just insert the 95 CD and point to it.

3. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, I wanted to install XP twice on my computer. One OS on each drive and use it as a dual boot and if the OS is the Home edition it is not allowed. I understood it is in the Pro. Version. I got this from MS in Australia.

Why I wanted to do it is that there is a free drive image that requires 2 OS to work properly. Peace Mal

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice