1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Music CD files question...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mcseguy9, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I got a new CD for Christmas (Josh Groben - Closer) and wanted to rip the files to the hard drive to listen to at work (instead of from the CD). This way I can leave the CD at home. The problem is that when I look at the CD from My Computer I don't see any music files...

I've never seen this before so I don't know how to rip them onto my hard drive (in .wav or .mp3 format). Does anyone know anything about this?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need a program to rip them, I recommend CDex, a free CD ripping application. It'll turn them into MP3 files for you, which is what you want for listening on a computer, much smaller than WAV files.

3. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm used to using dbPowerAmp Music Converter (I prefer it over CDex). When I run that program it doesn't see any files to be ripped on the CD. It's very strange. But then when I went to the CD drive through My Computer I didn't see any files there, either. If you think that CDex will work, even though db did not, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

4. JohnWill

If you can play them with WMP, I don't see any reason that a CD ripper can't see them. Perhaps there's something amiss with the configuration of your machine?

5. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

I haven't tried playing them with WMP. I'm using Winamp. Does that make a difference?

6. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

i just opened it in WMP. i could see the files. i tweaked the copy options in WMP and am copying the files right now. hopefully it will work well (they'll play well).

7. JohnWill

WMP doesn't give you much quality in the MP3 files it created as I recall, but then I don't use WMP at all. I use WinAmp for playing MP3 and CD audio and CDex for ripping CD's.

8. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Fortunately, the quality is fine, actually good having used WMP to rip the CD. Unfortunately, though, the last track on the CD wouldn't rip. It would get to 99% than put out an error in WMP about some I/O problem. I was using a copy of the CD for this ripping, so maybe that's it. I don't know. But hey, at least I was able to rip all but one of the songs onto my hard drive. I like it this way much better.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/194560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice