music cds make ticking sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

changintimes

Banned
some cds i make make a ticking sound, i record them on windows media player,

i think it may have something to do with volume leveling,

i hear the ticking when i put the volume on my boom box all the way down to 0, the ticking sounds like it is coming from the lazer needle,

and then some other cds that i make do not have the ticking sound,

does anybody know why this might happen?

thanks,

larry

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It almost sounds like the disks are a bit warped and are hitting something as they spin. How fast is the ticking sound?

changintimes

Banned
basically, i belive, this is a very common occurence, i think if you try a few tracks from a few different cds of your own, you will also hear the ticking sound i am talking about,

just make sure the volume is set all the way down to 0, then listen, sometimes it's nice and smooth, sometimes there is a ticking sound, i believe when there is a ticking sound, the ticking sound is a reflection of a stress on the laser needle,

i believe this happens on anybodies cd player and it varies from cd to cd, track to track,

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't ever remember hearing a ticking sound, so either my laser isn't about to blow up, or I'm really lucky. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've made lots of audio CD's, I have "tried it" many times. :rolleyes: Do you really think if this was a normal problem that you wouldn't hear about it all the time?

Make sure that the cd player and burner are set to enable digital audio and that any analog cables in the computer are seated properly and in good shape. A ground short in a cable will cause this.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Or simply remove the analog cables, since the digital audio should do the trick. None of my systems have the analog cables, just one more thing you have to string through the case for no reason.

changintimes

Banned
i am not talking about any cd player to computer hook up,

i can play almost any cd in almost any cd boom box and hear this ticking sound (with the volume set to 0),

guess i just have good hearing,

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
With the volume turned off, that is good hearing. :D

I presume you're talking about the mechanical sound of the CD rotating? I guess that's possible, but I've never really spent any time worrying about it.

changintimes

Banned
that is what i am talking about, the mechanical sound,

i think a person should worry about it because i think it causes stress on the laser needle, as apposed to those other cd music tracks that do not produce that mechanical ticking sound,

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suspect that the ticking sound is actually the disk revolving, nothing to do with the laser pickup. Spindle speeds at 1X of 1.2-1.4 m/s discs are 458-535 rpm (7.6-8.9 rev/sec) near the center, and decrease to 196-228 rpm (3.3-3.8 rev/sec) near the outer rim. This would be the speed in most stand-alone CD players.

changintimes

Banned
i'm thinking you may be right about the disk speed causing the ticking sound difference,

are you saying that the disk rotation does not remain consistant, like a record, throughout the playing of a cd?

where track 2 will actually make the disk rotate at a different speed than track 8?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online