1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Music File Issues??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jonny89, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonny89

jonny89 Thread Starter

hey guys, new here, basically my laptop had windows vista and it was badly infected with a virus that had ran it's course and destroyed alot of the o/s. so my college lecturer (computing teacher) reinstalled windows 7 onto the laptop, a fresh start, thankfully for me i backup alot of my files onto a portable hard drive, anyway all my cds that i have bought i've copied onto my laptop using windows media player for my mp3 player. i made a backup of these files onto my portable hard disk before my computer was wiped and a fresh windows 7 install done, now after copying the files back into the music folder on windows 7 something strange has happened, i've added them all into windows media player yet quite alot of the files have came out of their 'sorted' album folders and are now in the music folder unsorted without correct album title folders keeping them together.

what has made this happen?? is there anything i can do too fix this?? unfortunately if you remove the files (as the originals still appear in the album folders) then the song will not play from the original foler (album folder) untill the deleted file is restored from the recycle bin to the music folder.

any help appreciated

thanks
    jonny.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you talking about how they appear in Windows Explorer or in Windows Media Player? If Windows Explorer do you really mean the Music folder and not the Music Library?

3. Hughv

Hughv

Files don't "come out" of their folders.
    I suspect you're looking at the way WMP sorts these files instead of the way Explorer does.

4. jonny89

jonny89 Thread Starter

when i click the start button then click music i open the foler with my music albums in folders, when you scroll to the bottom of this folder i have maybe 300+ songs that once were in folders now just placed all together free in the 'music' folder.

i think maybe windows media player has changed the way they are sorted?? i've no idea however i really want them back in the album folders that they were once in.

i'm totally stuck guys? :(

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On my Windows 7 systems when I click on Start and then on Music I get a Windows Explorer window showing my Music Library. So, I repeat one of my questions, just to be sure: "do you really mean the Music folder and not the Music Library?"

If you are talking about the Music folder then you are right about being stuck. And, I have no idea how you managed to get into that predicament.

If you are really talking about the Music Library then surely you have "Arrange by:" (upper right of the window) set to 'Songs'; change it to 'Folder' or 'Album' and see if you like that presentation better.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice