1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Music Files.......

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by aric49, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aric49

aric49 Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

I have a HP Pavilion machine with a 333MHz Prosessor, 64 ram, and a 4 gig hard drive. Anyway, I was trying to upgrade it to Win98 Second Editon, so i could get broad band on it. When formatted it, things went haywire, But thats a diffrent post, to make a long story short, i was tried of fiddeling with it, so i took it to a friend who runs a pc repairing company. Since hes such a good friend, he did it for resonable! I got it back a few days ago. He installed 98SE and all the drivers i need. He told me my sound card was messed up so he put in a new one for me.

Before i had any of this happen, I had windows 98 Gold, and everything ran well. I use to listen to Mp3s and MIDIs on it like there was no tommorrow, I had a midi archive of over 600 MIDIS.

Now that its been fixed. I cant even listen to midis on it because if i do, the computer goes REALLY slow, ( it sometimes crashes.. when i listen to MIDIS!)
    when i listen to MP3s, there so choppy it takes about 15 mins to get through a 2 min song.

My first theroy is that i prolly have too many programs runnign in the background. Usually, all i have, is Spybot Resident Sheild, AIM, and the rest of the Windows background files, Nothing fishey.

I cant figure out why i cant listen to anything on my system. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

Figure out what sound is in your system. HP might have the last set of drivers made for it, if you're lucky. If not go to Driver Guide and see if you can find it there.

Most of the older HP systems are almost impossible to get the drivers for. HP stopped putting them on there site, for the most part. You have to order the original cd's now to get anything. The last time i tried to get a set of restore cd's from them, they said anything older than windows xp is out dated and they wouldn't sell it to me.

3. aric49

aric49 Thread Starter

Do you mean drivers for the sound card??? as i mentioned before, my friend put in a new sound card, On the device manager, under sound, all it says is:

>>ES1868 Controller Interface (WDM)
    >>ES1868 Plug adn Play AudioDrive (WDM)
    >>Game port Joystick

NOTE: the >>`s arnt really in the file name, i just put them in for seperation

4. aric49

aric49 Thread Starter

OK, I downlaoded all the drivers for my sound card, but to no avial, it didnt help matters one bit.

5. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Whatever the actual problem is it must be related to the new sound card. Not to say it's faulty nesessarily but just that it has to be the cause of your problems. It certainly wouldn't be win98se. Or do you still have the "Gold" version. Whatever, swapping video or sound cards can sometimes cause more problems than they fix. On my old machine I decided to put in a new graphics card cause games were running slow and although it solved the speed issue it caused Internet explorer to freeze if I left the graphics accelerator on. I gotta ask how formatting you drive wrecked your sound card. Or was it giving you problems before the reformat. Ask your freind to please help you get this going as someone with 600 midis saved to disk obviously likes the midi thing so it'd be somewhat of a shame if you lost the ability to play music.

6. aric49

aric49 Thread Starter

Well, I never asked my friend what the problem with the sound card was. But it worked fine when i had windows gold. There was only a volume issue, but that was minor and it never really mattered to me. Ohh yeah, I just purchased the game Diablo, and the sound works great on it, its not laggy at all. I think it just might have to do with the music files. I`m going to download Macromedia Flash Player to see if flash animations with sound are laggy at all......

7. aric49

aric49 Thread Starter

And yes, flash is also really laggy......

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice