1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Music On Website Problem

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by putzie, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. putzie

putzie Thread Starter

I would like to have music on my website and understand I need to upload to a host. Where do I find free webhosting for .wav files? I tried www.ripway.com but that didn't work. Can anyone help with this? Thanks. Oh yea, I know I could have a link where people click on it, but I'd prefer it to start when they come on.

thanks again.
    Putzie :confused:

2. mrpeenut24

mrpeenut24

Does the .wav file have words in it? If not, or if the music is licensed to yourself (or not licensed at all), then you don't have to upload to a host, nor do you have to have a link for them to click on. Instead what you can do is edit the html file using any text editor and either embed the .wav file, or set it as a background. (However, if the music has words to it, or is licensed, then it is illegal to have it on your site without the artists permission.)
    In order to do this, you have to have the .wav file on the internet somewhere, preferrably in the same folder as the page you want the music to be on.
    For instance:
    Suppose you are in the folder: hxxp://www.mywebsite.com/ (the x's so that it won't try to take you to that website) and the name of the page you want to have music on is called index.html. When you are in an internet browser, the page will be displayed as hxxp://www.mywebsite.com/index.html, or sometimes it will leave off the index.html (only if it's name is index.html) and just be called hxxp://www.mywebsite.com. What you can do is upload the .wav file (we'll call it mywave.wav), so that in the folder: hxxp://www.mywebsite.com are the files index.html and mywave.wav.
    Then you have to edit the index.html file so that it will play the .wav file. You can do this one of two ways; you can either embed the file, which will have an embedded player on the page, allowing people to pause and rewind the .wav file; or you can put it in the background, making it look more professional (in my opinion). Open the index.html file with a text editor such as Scintilla, FrontPage, or even Notepad will work; and scroll to the bottom.
    If you decide to embed, down at the bottom of the page, before </body> create a new line by pressing enter. Then type in the following (assuming that you have both the mywave.wav file and the index.html file in the same folder): <embed src="mywave.wav">; however, if the .wav file is not in the same folder (or if you want to be on the safe side), you must type the full address: <embed src="hxxp://www.notmysite.com/mywav.wav". This will put a little player down at the bottom, and will play the file as soon as the page is loaded.
    If you want to have the file in the background instead, at the same place type: <bgsound src="mywav.wav">, and the same goes for putting the whole address if it's not on your site. This file will also play as soon as the page is loaded.
    If you want to make the file play more than once, you can make it loop. In the case with the embedded .wav file, you would make it say this: <embed src="mywav.wav" loop="5"> to make it play five times while that page is up. For a background sound, you would make it say: <bgsound src="mywav.wav" loop="5">. You can make it any positive number, and to make it an infinite loop, you would have the loop set to "0".

Hope this helps! If not let me know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice