1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

music players cant play my files... mp4 etc

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by tommo020788, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tommo020788

tommo020788 Thread Starter

Hi, I cant seem to find any linux/Kubuntu based audio players that can play my music... I have tried about 8 different audio players, including banshee, and Amorak (most popular it seems), yet they just don't want to play my music files...

The only program I have been able to get to play the music, is "VLC" Media player, but it doesnt have very good features for making playlists etc...

Please don't tell me I have to convert the files to mp3, because there are waay too many files there to be bothered converting...

Does anyone know of either a music/multimedia player for Kubuntu, that can play these types of files, or does someone perhaps know of some plugin's for amorak or banshee that can be used to play these files?:confused:

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

3. tommo020788

Well I have installed the restricted formats pack for kubuntu, but it still doesnt seem to be getting any playback of the music files.
    It appears like it plays, but there is no sound.
    I remember an error comeing up from amorak once, that said that an audio device had been removed, and wanted to ask if It should forget about it entirely. I clicked no, because I hadn't removed the audio device.

It is clear the audio device is working properly, because VLC is playing back fine, but any built in media players for kubuntu, seem to not be playing back any sound at all.

I have looked in the playback devices in banshee and it shows the audio device I have installed there, but it is whited out, and non-selectable. "pulse audio" is the only selectable item in the playback devices section of banshee.

Any Idea why kubuntu's music players arent picking up the audio devices properly?

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I used to have a Kubuntu installation, but I no longer do because it annoyed me too much.

Sound in Linux has lots of permutations and makes lots of people tear their hair out. It also tends to be very distribution specific. And, since I haven't used your distro for awhile (and never had sound problems with it anyway), I can't easily help you if you've already installed the codecs.

I suggest you try playing with the various backends for audio that are available to you through the KDE control center. You want to be using alsa, not oss, and you want to play around with your default codec choices. Probably at some point it'll spring to life.

Or, you can wait here for someone who has current Kubuntu knowledge that might be able to help you.

Or, you could go ask at Linuxquestions.org - someone there probably will know.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How kould you not like the kuteness? :D

Getting alsa working was key for me in Ubuntu, and I suspect that jiml8 is korrect about needing it in Kubuntu. With a web search for "Kubuntu alsa" (w/o the quotes) you'll find a bunch of "this might work" suggestions.

6. tommo020788

hmmm well you guys were right, alsa was not installed correctly, so I reinstalled everything to do with alsa on here, and the sound is working in amarok.
    However, banshee still doesnt play mp4 files, and neither does any of the other programs that I have tried.
    The only one supporting mp4 files is amarok.
    Does anyone know now how to get banshee working with mp4 files, and other formats? a plugin perhaps?

7. liquid_vision

liquid_vision

If I remember correctly,Banshee uses GStreamer.... Installing the GStreamer codecs *should* get it working....

I gave up on it after a short while in favour of VLC, but that's mainly down to my impatience more than anything else...

8. tommo020788

well I installed GStreamer and all its codecs, went to play the m4a file with banshee, and banshee automaticly downloaded and installed codecs itself.
    But even after it apparently installed the codecs needed, it won't play m4a files...
    Banshee will play mp3 files, but not m4a files...

After installing GStreamer and all its codec packs, I have found that every other audio playing program I have will play m4a files now, but yet Banshee still wont...

While looking at reviews etc, banshee tends to be talked up allot, but it cant even do something this simple!
    What kind of BS have I been fed? lol...

Any other ideas?
    Or suggestions for specific names of packages to install if I have missed something?

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Like I told you. Linux sound makes people pull their hair out. Are you bald yet? :p

10. flan_suse

flan_suse

Banshee is a GNOME music manager/player, and you're using it in KDE. Technically, it should still work without a hitch. What error message are you getting when you try to play the m4a files in Banshee?

I've only ever used Banshee on GNOME, and it plays any audio file I throw at it: Ogg, FLAC, MP4, MP3, etc. I'm telling you this to let you know that it is possible to use Banshee to play your files, so if you still decide to use Banshee, there is "hope"!

Banshee 1.6.0 is the latest version, but it is available only through the Banshee PPA/repository. If you did not add the Banshee repository in your package manager, then you are probably using an older (beta) version of Banshee.

I believe you can also try installing the Restricted Formats for Ubuntu (ubuntu-restricted-extras), even though you are on Kubuntu. GNOME (Ubuntu) primarily uses GStreamer, and KDE (Kubuntu) primarily uses Phonon.

For future reference, on Linux Mint, these "restricted" formats are installed by default, as well as Flash, Java, and other proprietary software.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice