1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

musketeer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by musketeer, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. musketeer

musketeer Thread Starter

I have a dell 8250 machine with windows XP Professional. I have recently erased the hardrive and reloaded all software. Everything seems to operate well with the exception of the Microsoft Office XP Professional software. When I attempt to open any file in excel, word, powerpoint etc. the request opens up and hangs there with the hour glass. There is a message at the bottom indicating that a virus scan has been requested. Nothing happens and the only way to get rid of the hung program is to close it with the task manager. The next time you attempt to open that file there is a message that "The document XXX caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?

When I go to safe mode the program will open any and all files with no problem. Obviously, I don't want to run in safemode.

Any ideas?

Musketeer

2. kenyonswim

kenyonswim

What antivirus software do you have installed? Have you tried disabling this first before opening a document?

3. musketeer

musketeer Thread Starter

I have Norton antivirus installed

4. kenyonswim

kenyonswim

Try disabling Norton first. I believe you have an option to temporarily disable Norton by clicking on the icon in the system tray (located in the bottom right hand corner of the screen) but i'm not 100% sure of that.

5. Arun@microsoft

[email protected]

Hey thats true... i had the same issue... Simply try disabling the Office plugin in Norton..
    Thats available under Norton ->options ->miscallaneous -> office plugin
    That worked for me..

otherwise i would recommend disabling the firewall and autoprotect... that should do...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice