Must reboot before using IE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Franktop

Just recently when clicking Internet Explorer I get the typical "page cannot be displayed" message. After rebooting all is okay, but then again after a few hours of no activity... the same proble all over again. I've never had to reboot me machine this much before. I'm using WindowsXP with SP2. Recently installed a wireless router but everything worked well after that. Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

Clean up things

DownLoad EasyCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

Use the clear files and Unnecessary files buttons – I do not recommend
using the Duplicates files button
as many dupes are there on purpose.

Not all files will delete – that is normal.

In the unnecessary button I check the top 4 entries

It sounds to me like your computer is blocking your DHCP server and thus your connection gets dropped. By chance do you have a firewall running and did you make changes in it when you added your router to the mix?

Franktop

I hate to admit this but my son installed my router and set everything up. However, I am usin g the windows firewall as well as the Zone Alarm firewall. They seemed to have been doing okay until just recently. Now, even when I reboot it wont come up. I have to go to my internet connections and click on the connection then click" repair connection". Then I can get on. Then it only lasts for a while and then I have to repeat the process.

You really should disable your Windows firewall if you have Zone Alarm installed. In this case, more is not better and actually can cause problems.

In your Zone Alarm, make sure you have your DNS and DHCP server IP's in the Trusted zone of the Firewall > Zones panel. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

Franktop

That sure as heck did the trick! The two boxes in Zone Alarm we unchecked. After I Checked them eveything is back to normal again. Thanks for putting me on the right path. Once again many thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online