1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

must run setup, setup won't start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brixie, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brixie

brixie Thread Starter

Like an idiot, I dropped my laptop the other day. It kept working at first, but crashed a couple of hours later. Now, when I boot-up, I get the following error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32/Drivers/Ntfs.sys. You can attempt to repari this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."​

I've inserted the setup CD (in an external CD-Rom drive, since my laptop doesn't have its own drive). But for some reason, setup won't start, and I keep coming back to the above error message. How do I start setup?

I'm running XP Home.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It has to be in a bootable drive. If the external won't boot, it has to be an internal.

3. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

In BIOS, enable your CD drive as the primary boot device, or #1 in the list, and try then. You may have damaged your hard drive and may need a replacement eventually depending on how hard it hit the ground.

4. brixie

brixie Thread Starter

How do I access BIOS? No matter what I try, I'm taken back the the error message mentioned before. I can't seem to get past this.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It usually tells you on a boot screen what key to press to enter BIOS "setup".

6. frankjohn

frankjohn

Try entering BIOS by clicking on the del key while system is booting also may try F1. Your booklet that came with your laptop should tell what key to hit?

7. brixie

brixie Thread Starter

I used F1, booted from the CD, and managed to run setup.

When setup finished, I hit "repair," and was taken to the XP Recovery Console screen.

There, I was prompted for the Administrator password (I don't remember setting one, but I just hit <enter> and this seemed to work. I'm now looking at a "C:\Windows" prompt.

Now what?

8. brixie

brixie Thread Starter

I found a Windows Help site with an answer to my last question, and Windows is now loading (or at least starting to load) when I boot up.

But now there's a new problem. As XP loads, I'm told first that Windows cannot find the local profile, and then that there's an activation error (Error code: 0x800703e7). Then, before Windows finishes loading, it crashes, tells me there's a fatal system error, reboots, and starts the process all over again.

What can I do? There are handful of files on the system that I would really like access to, even if the rest of the system is shot.

9. brixie

brixie Thread Starter

Yet another update (sorry for so many, but wanted to give you the latest):

Windows is still crashing before it finishes loading. But I am able to get into Windows in Safe Mode. From Safe Mode, I can tell that my important files are all still on the computer (phew!).

I would like very much to transfer the files (small Word documents, for the most part) to another computer while I try to sort out the bigger issues with the screwed-up system. But I can't figure out how to do this from Safe Mode, which doesn't recognize my memory-stick, and which won't let me use the Internet. Any suggestions?

Alternatively, is there some way to get past the fatal system error message and access the files in regular mode?

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking? That should let you access the internet, or use a network to transfer the files to another PC.

HTH

Jerry

11. brixie

brixie Thread Starter

Tried Safe Mode with Networking. Alas, Windows crashes before it finishes loading, just like in Regular Mode. (Seems strange that Safe Mode would work, but not Safe Mode w/ Networking, no?)

Other suggestions for accessing files in Safe Mode?

12. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

You could just re-install windows, it won't delete your documents or user profiles, but it will overwrite the windows directory unless you specify a new one upon installation. With it crashing constantly, it's difficult to say if the reinstall will even work cause you dropped the laptop and possibly messed up the hard drive.

If you have access to another PC, obtain a free linux liveCD with NTFS/FAT32 reading capability. I believe knoppix or ubuntu are some examples, they will load your windows partition automatically and give you access to read the drive, but not write. The linux liveCDs will also load your usb drivers and typically automount your USB Flash drive(s) so that you can salvage any data still accessible on your windows partition. That's the best alternative I can think of cause if there is damage to your hard drive, you want to access it as least as possible.

Hope that helps.

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

When booted to safe mode with the flash drive not connected, open a command prompt - Start | Run type CMD then press enter.
    type net start usbstor
    If you get an error that there are no associated devices, plug in the flash drive and try again.
    Hopefully that will start the USBStor driver so you can access the flash drive.
    If not, then as jasaiyajin has said, at this point a Live CD would be the next step to try.
    Live CDs
    Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
    Knoppix
    Ubuntu

Test will also enable networking so you can transfer the files to another PC over the network, or upload them to the internet if you have some type of online storage, which many ISPs are starting to provide. Mine gives 1GiB per name and allows 7 names.

Another option would be an external USB enclosure to mount the laptop drive so it could be accessed from another PC, or an adapter to connect it internally.

HTH

Jerry

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice