MVPS HOSTS File Updated [07-13-05]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Thanks for that. It will move back up each time someone posts. It blocks almost all that I have blocked manually, and many more.

siljaline

Deceased
Elvandil said:
Thanks for that. It will move back up each time someone posts. It blocks almost all that I have blocked manually, and many more.
You're welcome, I think. If you would like me to post these updates in a different way or thread, please let me know. I had no intention of interfering with other threads and or posts. Apologies if this happened.

Regards,
Silj

Hi, and thanks for looking. Is there a program that will let me "sort" my HOSTS file??? Or a manual way?? Like the way one can sort text in MS word by name in alphabetical order...but without messing with the format. Ive tried the two progys on mvps site ....hosts man and something else and the didnt do what i wanted them to do as for as sorting. the one let me sort close to the way i would like...but only for viewing and not actually changing the file.

What im looking to do is add to the mvps HOSTS file my own sites that i like to block. Which i have already done so.....about 200 sites. But i never put the sites i added in alphabetical order. So when i go to add a site, instead of just scrolling down and looking first before i make a duplicate...i have to search for the site first to see if i already have it in there. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

vookster82,
Let's see if we can get you "sorted" (pun intended) out ...
Create a text file: Myhosts.txt
Copy your 200 entries to Myhosts.txt
Include the following as the first entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Next: rename the existing HOSTS file (NOHOSTS)
Rename Myhosts.txt to HOSTS

Open (example) HostMan, click Tools | HostsMan Editor
Click the "Hosts" header to "sort" the entries.
Save and exit HostsMan.

Rename HOSTS to Myhosts.txt
Rename NOHOSTS to HOSTS

Open both files in Notepad
Copy and paste the entries from Myhosts.txt to HOSTS
Note: do not include "127.0.0.1 localhost" from Myhosts.txt
File | Save and Exit

Now you can use HostsMan to check for Duplicates, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online