1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Account & Sites Hacked

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by gamerxgirl, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gamerxgirl

gamerxgirl Thread Starter

So I'm stuck in a rut, my sites and account was recently hacked and I did all of the recommended security measures such as changing passwords and what not, and attempted restoring my site from the farthest back backup that my web hosting provider supplies, which is 2 weeks. No such luck. It appears all the hackers did was change my index pages (.php/.html) to their black background and neon text. I haven't discovered any unknown/malicious files as of late and have no idea what I should do from here since I don't believe I have any previous backups of all of my sites.

While I do generally keep my sites up to date on the latest script updates, there may be a chance I didn't update to the newest Wordpress or Joomla before the hackers struck.

[Personal Rant]
    The funny part about my sites is that I have no idea why they would be targeted, they were for the most part simply personal/family sites. If it was for amusement purposes, I am sincerely amused, because these people must have no lives to be running scripts/checking vulnerabilities in order to damage someone's site.

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    If you have cPanel access to your sites then there is a backup option there that enables you to take your own backups. These are stored independently of your hosting companies backups and may help you should it happen again.

3. gamerxgirl

gamerxgirl Thread Starter

As I stated, I attempted to restore backups from 2 weeks ago, and my hosting provider has their own control panel (which is not cPanel or any other derivative of the standard hosting panel.

I posted a support ticket with my web host and they claim that there's nothing they can really do for me other than point me in the right direction since those backups are all they would have.

4. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    You didn't read what I wrote. My suggestion was as to protecting yourself in the future. If you have no cPanel access to your webspace then you will have to rely on copies of your website stored on your own PC IN THE FUTURE.

If you have no copies on your own PC now and the hosting companies backup is no good then you will have to recreate your hacked pages and keep copies.

If you are lucky then the way back machine may have a copy of your un-hacked site. Have a look at http://www.archive.org/.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!