1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Acer Aspire One D255-2331 netbook is giving me a problem, please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lo_ol, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

When I turn it on, I get a black screen which says:

Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select r at the first screen to start repair.

My netbook has usb ports but it doesn't have a cd/dvd or a floppy drive, and it didn't come with any discs.

I pressed F8 to see if I could further troubleshoot my problem. When I did this, I got a screen titled "Windows Advanced Options Menu" which gave me a set of options to choose from. I chose Safe Mode and clicked enter, and I got this message:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

My netbook is XP Home Ed., Intel Atom Processor N450 (1.66GHZ, 512KB cache), 1 GB Memory, 160 GB HDD

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hi,
    Your Netbook should have an Acer eRecovery Management,

Try this:

How to Open ERecovery Service

There are three ways to access the ERecovery Service.

1. Press ALT-F10 when the computer is first turned on. If you see the Windows XP or Vista splash screen you've waited too long and will have to shut the computer down and try it again.
    2. Find the ERecovery Service icon on the Acer floating toolbar and click it.
    3. Click on Start, All Programs, Acer Empowering Technology, and click on the icon for Acer ERecovery Management

3. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

I did as you instructed and got the page you directed me to.

There are 6 steps that have appeared on the Acer eRecovery Management page.

The first one says "1. Select Restore Type" and gives me 3 choices to pick from:

> Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults
    Restore your PC to factory default status. All data on C: drive will be deleted.

> Restore Operating System and Retain User Data
    Restore only the operating system of your PC to the factory defaults. Files from your user accounts will be transfered to C:\Backup. This option will not remove persistent viruses or malware.

> Exit

I'm not sure if I should select the 1st or 2nd option but I will select a choice based on your guidance

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

That also depends on you, If you have done regular backups and you can easily restore all your documents, settings, programs, etc. then maybe no 1. Allthough you must remember that you have to start over from Scratch.

Since you did not mention any possibility of Malware or Virus', if it was me I would try #2 first since it offers you to:
    to your C:\Backup.

Or there is a 3rd Option: If you can wait until more experienced members than me or a Moderator to come along, they maybe could find you a better alternative.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck
    Ray

5. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

It's a brand new netbook and I haven't yet learned how to do regular backups on it, but I'd like to learn how to do this.

I'm going to go with choice #2 and run an AV/AM program to detect and remove any nasty bugs it finds.

As to how my netbook crashed, I'm not certain what caused it. I had installed Ad-Aware Pro before this problem occurred.

6. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

If it is brand new, then maybe you could bring it back to the shop since it is still under warranty and they could fix it for you since it could be their fault.
    What type of Anti Virus do you have?

7. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

I bought it at Target. I want to see if I can repair it at home before taking it to a repair shop or returning it back to Target.

The AV I use is a trial version of McAfee that I shouldn't have tested. Instead I should have removed McAfee and installed Avast which I'll do as soon as I get this netbook running smoothly again

8. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

You could also try a Microsoft Security Essentials which comes Highly recommended by many in this Forum.

Again, best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Ray

9. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

does MSE work on Windows XP or is it for Windows 7 only?

Thanks for your help and input.

Restore is in progress so we'll see what happens after it's done

10. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Yes MSE works with XP, here are the quick specs.:

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7

11. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

That's great news! I'll start to use MSE when I get my netbook back up on it's feet.

12. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

One last thing before I call it a night: I am not sure if the option you choose in your ERecovery Service will Leave all the SP1, SP2 and SP3 and all the other important MS patches on your computer. So you might have to re-install all this back on.
    If it is not on your Netbook, it would be best to download them from your computer and burn them to a CD or a Flash drive and then install them to your Netbook.

Note: You will Not be able to Install or use MSE until you get at least SP2 installed first.

Take Care and I will check back later in the day, and I hope for your sake that all goes well.
    Ray

Forgot to mention: If you Service Paks 1,2 and 3 are not installed, check the C:\Backup first to see if they were placed in there, might save you some downloading time.

13. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

I don't know if the patches are on my netbook or not. How do I install them onto a flash drive so I can then transfer them to my netbook?

I looked in the c:\backup file but don't know where to look to see if they were placed in there.

When I type in the network key so I can surf the net on my netbook, it's not connecting to my home wi-fi.

14. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hi again,
    Well first off, glad to see that your system is up and running.
    To quicky see if you have any SPaks or not: Click on Control Panel, then the System Icon and double-click on it and on the Front (or Main)Page you should see something like Windows XP (if you see just this, then there are No SP), if you see:
    Windows XP SP3, good you are up to date on SP.

If you do not have any SPaks, the Good news is you Do Not need to install SP1 and or SP2 before installing SP3, You need Just to Install either SP1 or SP2, then install SP3
    Here is the link you need:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389#check1

Report back wether A) You actually have the SPaks or B)When you finally have SP3 installed and then WE (Hopefully more experienced members or a Moderator will come along to help you further) can look at your Internet connection problem.

As for installing the Patches to a Flash Drive, you either point the Downloads directly to your Flash drive, or send them to your HD and then copy them to your FD.

Ray

15. lo_ol

lo_ol Thread Starter

Thanks for the help you've given me. :)

I was able to finally figure out why my netbook wasn't accessing my home's wifi. It was due to not having selected the correct network key although the secret password was typed in correctly. I used Network Diagnostic for Windows XP to help me troubleshoot this problem.

I'm looking at System Properties and it says I have SP3. I did a Windows Update to check if there's any updates available, there's a whole bunch so I'm going to proceed with downloading them.

I tried using McAfee three times to scan my netbook for malware and it gets hung up at 27% while scanning my backup file. Should I scan my netbook first with a free malware program like Stinger and Housecall before removing McAfee Internet Security Suite and replacing it with MSE or Avast?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!