1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My antivirus can't find it!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Octorod, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Hi, I've only had my pc for 6 months and this is the first problem I've had. I have both norton and AVG antivirus software installed and have run both but my problem persists.

When I turn my pc on, Symantec seems to be scanning a succession of outgoing emails which I've had nothing to do with. The 'scanning email' messages build up until I eventually get a 'Runtime error' message. When I click on OK the email scans stop.
    Also, (whether this is part of the same problem, I don't know) when I send emails from hotmail or try to access some of my hotmail folders, a message appears which says it is trying to download something.
    I also think that my windows settings are being messed with (ie folder settings etc being reset).

I don't know where to start. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hiya, You may be sending and receiving spam type spoofed emails due to someone you know having an infected computer, or your email addy was harvested somehow and is being used to send such mail....
    It does not mean you are infected, but you could be, best to check it out...see below.

Do you mean you have both antivirus programs active together, or are you using one active and one kept from starting when Windows does? Using two active antvirus programs is not advisable, you should at least set one to not start when Windows does.
    If Norton for example scans your email and AVG for some reason won't, use Norton provided it does update (and you are still subscribed and not near expiration or you renew in time)

AVG does do email scanning and usually as soon as you open your email program, at least that is what happens here.

Could you post a Hijackthis log please, when you have set one of your antivirus progs to remain inactive...

Here is what to do for the Hijackthis log:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Save Hijackthis.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    • Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    • At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit EDIT then SELECT ALL then click EDIT and then click COPY, doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    • Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    • At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit EDIT then PASTE
    • You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Settings to keep the antivirus program from starting up are usually in Preferences or Options. In AVG, they are located at the bottom of the main AVG screen, Properties for Resident Shield, you will see it.

3. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I have now disabled norton completely so AVG is now fully functional on it's own. I restarted the pc and this time I had no 'email scanning' messages. Does this necessarily mean that there are no emails going out ( I have avg set to autoscan messages ) ?
    Here's the logfile you asked for, thanks;

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 21:33:06, on 23/01/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN Utility\SiWake.exe
    C:\Program Files\UltimateZip 2.7\uzqkst.exe
    C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN Utility\SiSCFG.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://as.starware.com/dp/search?x=...otE/GY9kTXKT+Z8FLCtqTmUHaPS+EsilQpeV6TKJpBQEn
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 80.1.224.4:8080
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
    O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CA356D79-679B-4b4c-8E49-5AF97014F4C1} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Office] C:\WINDOWS\system32\msoff.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [pro] C:\winstall.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows installer] C:\winstall.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
    O4 - Startup: UltimateZip Quick Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\UltimateZip 2.7\uzqkst.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: SiWake.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN Utility\SiWake.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1134674569890
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D7BF3304-138B-4DD5-86EE-491BB6A2286C} - http://www.azebar.com/install/azesearch.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://by106fd.bay106.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

4. Byteman

Hi, [You do have some infections, back in a short while with things to do.]

Make sure AVG has all the latest detection updates!

Right click any empty part of your screen and go to>New>Folder and rename the folder to something like RemSmit.

Download SmitRem Here TO that folder you just created, and then extract the file to the same folder and let it alone.

Download Ewido Security Suite, trial version, fully works for 15 days: Right Here

Install ewido.
    · During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
    · Launch ewido
    · It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen
    · On the left side of the main screen click update
    · Click on Start and let it update.
    · DO NOT run a scan yet. You will do that later in safe mode.

Download Ad-Aware SE personal edition: HERE

Install and Update the program.

Again, do not scan with this yet either.

Download Killbox HERE
    Unzip the file to a folder you create, also the desktop is fine. Leave Killbox folder alone, for now.

Do a full scan of all hard drives HERE and do it now after you get those downloads above:

Be sure to select "Scan My Computer". An ActiveX control must download, plus the updated detection files, in order to start a scan. This is not an install of an antivirus program, just an online scanner, but it has to download things to be able to run. The scan may take awhile, but try to finish it!
    When anything is found infected, you will at the end of the complete scan, see View Report, do that, then click on SAVE Report> it will be called activescan.txt, please Save that file to your desktop and copy and paste the contents of it into your next reply. If the logs I ask for make the reply too long, if you are told that it is, please attach the logs or use two or more replies to get them posted.

Post a new Hijackthis log made after you run Panda online scan, and the report from Panda please.

5. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

I'm running the panda scan now, but I did not come across an 'autoclean' option. Should i let the scan run or stop it and try again?

6. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Incident Status Location

Adware:adware/azesearch Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\azebar.xml
    Adware:adware/secure32 Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\secure32.html
    Adware:adware/cws.searchmeup Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\uniq
    Adware:adware program Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\x.exe
    Adware:adware/xupiter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Favorites\Cool stuff
    Dialer:dialer.su Not disinfected HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\SWITCH
    Adware:adware/spysheriff Not disinfected Windows Registry
    Spyware:Cookie/2o7.net Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Hbmediapro Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Falkag Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Bluestreak Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Ccbill Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/did-it Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/FortuneCity Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/WUpd Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Rn11 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Searchportal Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Server.iad.Liveperson Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/WebPower Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Buydomains Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Seeq Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Xmts Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/XXXCounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/2o7.net Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Hbmediapro Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected]mediapro[2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Falkag Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Bluestreak Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Ccbill Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/did-it Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/FortuneCity Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\com[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/WUpd Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Rn11 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Searchportal Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Server.iad.Liveperson Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/WebPower Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Buydomains Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Seeq Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/Xmts Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/XXXCounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Remsmit\smitRem\Process.exe
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Remsmit\smitRem.exe[Process.exe]
    Adware:Adware/SpySheriff Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\jav1.tmp
    Adware:Adware/SpySheriff Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\jav2.tmp
    Adware:Adware/SpySheriff Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\jav3.tmp
    Adware:Adware/SpySheriff Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\jav4.tmp
    Adware:Adware/SpySheriff Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\jav5.tmp
    Adware:Adware/SpySheriff Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\jav6.tmp
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/KillApp.B Not disinfected C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe
    Adware:Adware/SearchAid Not disinfected C:\ms32.tmp
    Adware:Adware/AzeSearch Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\azesearch.inf

7. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Scan saved at 23:50:53, on 23/01/2006

Running processes:
    c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\SecuritySuite.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://as.starware.com/dp/search?x=...otE/GY9kTXKT+Z8FLCtqTmUHaPS+EsilQpeV6TKJpBQEn
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_GB&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 80.1.224.4:8080
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
    O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: UltimateZip Quick Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\UltimateZip 2.7\uzqkst.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: SiWake.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wireless LAN Utility\SiWake.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1134674569890
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D7BF3304-138B-4DD5-86EE-491BB6A2286C} - http://www.azebar.com/install/azesearch.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://by106fd.bay106.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

8. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

I've just had the series of symantec email scan messages again followed by the runtime error notice. I clicked ok.
    I also had avg detect a virus in two symantec files. I quarantined them.
    Hope I've done the right thing.

9. Byteman

Hi, You should be fine, follow the steps about getting the SmitRem tool and other downloads....Panda doesn't clean these adware based things, but it gives a good reference point for file locations.

Let AVG quarantine anything, future scans may find files in it's Quarantine area, and that is OK they can be deleted from there.

Here is what you do next: First, delete the activescan.txt file on your desktop as we will be getting a new one.
    The original file is stored online here so you can refer to it if we need you to.

* Now copy these instructions to notepad and save them as Steps.txt to your desktop. You will need them to refer to in safe mode.
    You can of course print them out if you wish.

* Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in safe mode:

How to get to Safe Mode in XP:

Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
    Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter key once.

* Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
    Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.

* Next go to Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab then click the "Customize Desktop" button. Click on the "Web" tab. Under "Web Pages" you should see an entry checked called something like "Security info" or similar. If it is there, select that entry and click the "Delete" button. Click OK then Apply and OK.

Next:

Run Ewido:
    · Click on scanner
    · Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
    · During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK-you have to do it for EACH item infected!
    · When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
    · Save the report to your desktop

This will take some time to run!

* Restart back into Windows normally now.

Do one more Panda scan: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

When the scan is finished, anything that it cannot clean have it delete it. Please remember to save this report to your desktop, to have to look through to find the files and delete manually what Panda could not.

Post the Ewido results, Panda results, and a new Hijackthis log made after all those scans.

10. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Whew! Ok, I've done all you said except for a few problems;

1. The panda scan did not give me an autoclean option so did not clean or delete any files.
    2. I worked through the panda scan results, deleting what I could but there were some probs - This file could not be deleted , it said it was in use by another program:

I could not find the following:

Dialer:dialer.su Not disinfected HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\SWITCH

Nor could I find this:

Adware:adware/comet Not disinfected Windows Registry

And finally, I did not delete the following because you advised me to install them:

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Remsmit\smitRem\Process.exe
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Remsmit\smitRem.exe[Process.exe]
    Potentially unwanted tool:Application/KillApp.B Not disinfected C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe

I hope I've done ok!!! The reports follow.......

11. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

---------------------------------------------------------
    ewido anti-malware - Scan report
    ---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 16:48:28, 24/01/2006
    + Report-Checksum: 57AB0BB9

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\msctl32.dll -> Adware.SpySheriff : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.247realmedia : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Yieldmanager : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Euroclick : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Addynamix : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Falkag : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Bluestreak : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Burstnet : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Burstnet : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Com : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Overture : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Overture : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Esomniture : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Esomniture : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Revenue : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Liveperson : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Statcounter : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Xxxcounter : Cleaned with backup
    C:\WINDOWS\azesearch.bmp -> Adware.Azesearch : Cleaned with backup
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\i386p.sys -> Not-A-Virus.SpamTool.Win32.Mailbot.x : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

12. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Incident Status Location

Adware:adware/azesearch Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\azebar.xml
    Adware:adware/cws.searchmeup Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\uniq
    Adware:adware/xupiter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Favorites\Cool stuff
    Adware:adware/comet Not disinfected Windows Registry
    Spyware:Cookie/Hbmediapro Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/FortuneCity Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/QuestionMarket Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Spyware:Cookie/QuestionMarket Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
    Adware:Adware/SearchAid Not disinfected C:\ms32.tmp
    Adware:Adware/AzeSearch Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\azesearch.inf

13. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Scan saved at 19:12:48, on 24/01/2006

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe

14. Byteman

Hi, Looks like Ewido removed that SpamBot for you. You are doing fine- That AUTOCLEAN box thing was not for Panda, so that was my fault, it does not matter anyway, Panda is not the best at removing ad-ware type things but it gives a good reference point for files that are scattered all over...

Do the steps below in order, and continue on through them to the finish once you start.

Follow these steps, if it says the work has to be done in Safe Mode, follow the directions for SM I posted above. Save the directions, or print them out, so you have them handy while working in Safe Mode.

First make sure you have made these settings so you can see hidden and system files:

Because XP will not always show you hidden files and folders by default, Go to Start > Search>Files and Folders>> and under "More advanced search options".
    Make sure there is a check by "Search System Folders" and "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search system subfolders"

Next click on My Computer. Go to Tools > Folder Options. Click on the View tab and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked. Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and "Hide extensions for known file types" . Now click "Apply to all folders"
    Click "Apply" then "OK"
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __

Get this downloaded: CleanUP!

Double click the file to open and install CleanUp. DO NOT change any settings anywhere, just close it. We will run it later in Safe Mode.

Download this> CWShredder
    to your desktop. Do not run it yet, we will do that in Safe Mode, below:

Make sure AdAware SE and SpyBot S&D have all the latest Updates applied....

Add/Remove Programs, uninstall any of these items:

Azesearch/Azebar

PowerRegSchedulerv.3

x

SearchAid

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    I am not sure any of these files are still there, but let's check to make sure, you will be well educated when we are done!

Perform the following steps in safe mode:

Run the SmitRem tool once again.

* Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
    Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish. Don't restart if prompted to do so.

Run CWShredder.exe, and use the FIX button, not the scan only button. It will tell you something was found and removed or the system was entirely clean.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Run Hijackthis and scan. When it finishes, if these items are therer, put checks next to each, then click "Fix Checked"

Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. Now put a tick by Standard File Kill. In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, copy and paste each of the following lines one at a time then click on the button that has the red circle with the X in the middle after you enter each file. It will ask for confimation to delete the file. Click Yes. Continue with that same procedure until you have copied and pasted all of these in the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box.
    Note: It is possible that Killbox will tell you that one or more files do not exist. If that happens, just continue on with all the files. Be sure you don't miss any. Some of these will not be found, don't worry, just continue on with the rest of the fix!

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msoff.exe
    C:\winstall.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\azesearch.inf
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\azebar.xml
    C:\WINDOWS\x.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\uniq
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Favorites\Cool stuff <file or folder, maybe you can manually delete this one.
    C:\ms32.tmp

Exit the Killbox.

Run CleanUP:

* Run Cleanup:
    • Click on the "Cleanup" button and let it run.
    • Once its done, close the program.

Hit the Start>Search button, type in PowerReg Scheduler.exe

Make sure the "Look In" drop down arrow is set to C: drive, so the entire drive is searched.
    And, scroll down a bit and note the Advanced feature...make sure you put a tick into Search hidden and into system files.

If the file is found, delete it.

If you get any of the "file in use" or " access denied" messages when using Killbox,

We can try with Hijackthis:

Start HJT, don't scan, hit the Config button, then the Misc Tools button, and you see the "Delete File Upon Reboot" button, hit that.

Browse to the location on the hard drive of one file , that give you a problem with Killbox. When you highlight it by clicking once, hit the Open button in the browse window, and Hijackthis will pop up a message saying "File abcd.xxx will be deleted when you reboot...Do you want to restart now?" Say NO, and continue on until any files that are still FOUND are entered...and after the last one is, Say YES to reboot now. The computer will restart to normal Windows.
    _ _ _ _ _ __ _
    Check for the files again, in Windows Explorer, they should all be gone. Try again if any remain, using Killbox on them, and Hijackthis Delete file on reboot. Make a note of any of the list of files you see that are refusing to delete and post those file names.

Do not worry about the Cookies> they will be taken out by CleanUp, or something else we run.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Run a scan with SpyBot and remove what it finds that is PRE-checked off for you.

Now start up AdAware SE, get the latest updates if any are available, and after updates finishes, hit the Start button. DEselect "Scan for neglible entries" and enable the other line.

Make sure you have the tick in "Full scan" not the smart scan.

When AAW finishes, you can right click any of the items found, to SELECT ALL, and remove them. These things will be Quarantined and can be restored if anything happens.

It would not hurt to scan again with Ewido, post a log if it finds anything. We should be almost done here.

Run Hijackthis, do a scan, and post a new log.

15. Octorod

Octorod Thread Starter

Wow, this really is an education! I did all you said. All of the files you listed seem to have gone and I had none that refused to be deleted. I ran a final Ewido scan which found nothing. Here's the latest logfile, thanks....

Scan saved at 03:03:28, on 25/01/2006

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice