1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My baby has broken my PC!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Becciboo, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becciboo

Becciboo Thread Starter

My beloved was trying to fix a harddrive problem on his PC and took mine out to use in his etc. Anyway my 7 month old son:confused: switched my PC on while the harddrive was removed and when I replaced it, the computer can no longer 'read' it. I just get a system boot failure message and when I go through BIOS, it tells me that it's there and how much memory it has but as I say it won't boot. If anyone knows how to help me out I'd reallllllly appreciate it.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you plugged an ide drive into a live power plug, it is toast and there is no way out of this, you need to buy a new hard drive and install fresh Windows.

3. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

You may be in luck. Install the hard drive and boot to the BIOS set up screen. Press the key combo as shown on the screen to get into setup. (Delete for some BIOS, Alt-S for others, depending on whose BIOS you have).

Scroll through the screens until you see entries for IDE drive. It's usually in the basic settings screen. Tell BIOS to auto ID the hard drive. Follow the instructions on the screen. Most BIOS use the Enter key as the command to AutoID the drive.

BIOS was booted without the drive and thinks there isn't one. You can also try using the optimum or default settings, but try the Auto ID steps first. If you need to reset BIOS, find the manual and follow the directions. Some allow you to reset from the setup screen and others require you to pull a jumper.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice