1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Book exHDD not recognized/detected/showing up anywhere

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luminosity, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luminosity

luminosity Thread Starter

First Name:
    Luminosity
    Hi,

I have an older WD My Book (model #WD3200D032). It is more of an archive than anything I use daily, but I do use it, and it stopped working today. Even though it's getting power and I can hear it spinning, it disappeared from the File explorer and the Disk Management console. It's as if it just doesn't exist anymore! However, when I plug it in, my computer recognizes that I plugged something in and says it's setting it up. It LIES.

This is what I did to troubleshoot--

1. I unplugged it and plugged it back in.
    2. I changed the cables, both the drive-to-usb and the drive-to-wall outlet.
    3. I looked for a new and updated driver for Win 10 (there isn't one).
    4. I looked for it in the device manager and found an unknown device that wasn't there before.
    4a. The unknown device had no driver (!!)
    4b. I searched for a driver via Windows and also online.
    5. I uninstalled the unknown device, disconnected the drive, rebooted the computer.
    6. I plugged the drive back in, the computer said hey we have something new here let's set it up, and the unknown device reappeared in the Device Manager, so I'm pretty sure it changed from an external WD drive to unknown.
    7. I unplugged the drive.
    8. I plugged it into my laptop, which also has Win 10, and it didn't work.
    9. I plugged it into an older desktop here at the house, and it showed up! (Win 7).
    9a. For a minute or two.
    9b. Then it stopped working, but I could see the contents long enough to make a list.
    10. I unplugged everything and put the drive in a baggie and then put it in the freezer. It's still there.

At first, I thought it was a dead drive, and then, I thought it was that Win 10 doesn't support it anymore, since a Google search clued me in that many people are having the same issue I'm having. Now, after seeing that it connected and showed up on the older OS, I wonder if it could be the connection *inside* the HDD enclosure. Or a combination of these things.

I pretty much have JBOD here, nothing complicated set up.

Would y'all please point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much,

Luminosity

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16319 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 148 GB (20 GB Free); E: 74 GB (40 GB Free); F: 1006 GB (268 GB Free); H: 195 GB (39 GB Free); I: 732 GB (364 GB Free); J: 199 GB (67 GB Free); K: 195 GB (21 GB Free); L: 3726 GB (2122 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASRock, H97M Pro4
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled**

** to see if it would change anything. sigh.

2. luminosity

First Name:
    Luminosity
    So, here's an update--

It was the enclosure. I took it out, hooked it up internally, and it's fine.

That being said, I have a Seagate 3TB drive that I also took out of an enclosure that spins and runs and Windows 10 doesn't see that either, and it's an internal drive (now). I don't know what to do to make Windows see it. I can't "disable/uninstall/whatever via Disk Mgmt or Device Mgr if it's not there. Help?

This is the first time in nearly 15 years that I've EVER asked a question here and didn't get some sort of suggestion or answer. I'm disappointed.

Thank y'all for all you do.

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Is the 3TB Seagate recognized by in the BIOS? If not, something is seriously wrong with the drive. And, the BIOS must be able to recognize it before any other Operating System will be able to.

If you have irreplaceable data on that drive that you must have, try Ontrack. They are one of the very best at what they do.

4. luminosity

First Name:
    Luminosity
    Thank you. I know just enough to be dangerous wrt working with my BIOS, but I have been reading. A lot. I have a new motherboard, and it's a UEFI (?) setup. I rebooted and looked at it, and now I wonder if that drive is something that this setup can't recognize. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm sure I can learn. Meanwhile, I've sort of mourned this drive for a couple of years, so I'm willing to experiment.

Thank you, too, for the link to Ontrack. If circumstances become dire, it's good to know there's a recommended site where I can start.

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice