1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My boot image

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by phunknight, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phunknight

phunknight Thread Starter

In the past month I had installed, then uninstalled Madrake Linux 9.2. Upon returning to my bumbling Win ME, the Mandrake Bootloader still required me to prompt my boot choice.

As a fix, I decided to installed Boot Magic (from a friend) - which hid the problem for me.

Since then, I have come to the world of XP - but now, everytime I start the computer an error message appears saying that it cannot find the correct boot image (hit any key and so on...). I no longer have access to the vile Boot Magic.

Is there a fix for this (say, reg editing) that I can do withOUT formatting my whole HD?

Spanks!

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try booting from the XP disk, choose to repair the installation using the repair console. Once there run the "fixboot" command.

3. phunknight

phunknight Thread Starter

Unfortunatley, this didn't work. Repartitioning and formatting didn't help either. Right after the BIOS finishes loading, here's the exact error:

-.||||||||
    Error finding BTMAGIC.IMG
    Run Bootmagic install
    Press a key

Damn you boot magic!

(also, I can't seem to find the "a" key, only have an "A" -
    thankfully, it seems I can just hit any of the keys)

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Re: Press a key - you'll find it right next to the any key.

MBN

5. afisher25

afisher25

you can boot using a win98 start up disk or any Dos disk with the tools on it and . Once you get booted go to the c drive and type fdisk /mbr this should take care of you.

6. techjason

techjason

BEFORE I EXPLAIN , I RECOMMEND YOU BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST, SO IF U DELETED THE WRONG KEY U CAN RESTORE , BUT IF U KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND, IT'S UP TO YOU.
    O.K GO TO START, THEN RUN. TYPE IN REGEDIT THEN O.K. CLICK ON EDIT THEN GO TO FIND. NOW TYPE IN "BOOTMAGIC" ONCE FOUND CLICK ON THE BTMAGIC FOLDER AND DELETE IT AND ALL THE SUBKEYS.
    O.K U MUST REPEAT THIS PROCESS AS BTMAGIC HAS ALOT OF REGISTRY ENTRIES. IF U KNOW HOW TO BROWSE THE REGISTRY THIS WILL SAVE TIME. I HAVE PASTED A QUICK PATH, TO HELP U REMOVE THE MAIN BTMAGIC KEY. ONCE FOUND DELETED IT.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\36DA838BC0DFC2841B42176147B8CA54

ONCE THIS IS DONE EXIT REGISRTY EDITOR
    NOW U SHOULD BE ABLE TO INSTALL BTMAGIC. ONCE INSTALLED RESTART THE COMPUTER AND THE MESSAGE SHOULD BE GONE. NOW U CAN SAFELY DELETE BTMAGIS THROUGH YOUR CONTROL PANEL
    GOOD LUCK
    techjason

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice