1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Boss wants to access the server remotely.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by The Infinity, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Infinity

The Infinity Thread Starter

So my Boss made a remark to me that he wanted to be able to access the files on our server at work remotely. He wants to have all the capabilities of accessing the files as he does when he is in the office. The only problem is that he travels a lot with work and he need to access those files. How would I go about accomplishing this for him? The server is running Windows Server 2003 and is behind a couple of routers. What would be the first steps I need to take to get it to where he can access all the files he needs to remotely. Maybe something that he can type in an IP and then maybe a password and be good to go.

Thanks for any help.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Just install an FTP server and forward port 21 to it. That should give him access to all the files.

3. The Infinity

Which FTP Server would you recommend?

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

5. The Infinity

Thanks brendan i'll give it a try.

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

No problem

7. JCorkery

JCorkery

If his normal workstation stays at the office while he travels, I would look at REALVNC. Your can setup the port forwarding on the two routers. The software is a free download. You can run it off of a floppy / memory stick, so he won't even have to take a computer with him.

Jim

8. Rockn

Rockn

Citrix or a VPN

9. datamonger

datamonger

Or the built in Remote Desktop.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The description appears to call for a VPN, especially if he wants to run applications that access network shares.

11. datamonger

datamonger

Good point JohnWill. A PPTP tunnel to the server should do the trick.

12. JCorkery

JCorkery

I have spent a good part of today working with the Remote Desktop on WinXP Pro. Again, if the workstation stays at the office, and he is able to access a Windows XP (home / pro / Media Centre) he can connect. He will have all of the access that he does at his desk, and it will re-route the sound, and printers to his current physical location.

Jim

13. The Infinity

Well his main concern is he wants to be able to access all the files on our server and be able to edit them and such as if he was really there at the store. I think what Brendan metioned would allow me to do that correct?

14. datamonger

datamonger

Using FTP will work, however, he will need to download the file to his computer(laptop or other remote PC). When he is done editing, he will then need to upload the file back to the server. Also, FTP transfers are not secure, meaning they are transmitted in the clear (no encryption). So, if there are privacy concerns or proprietary information concerns then regular FTP is not a good solution. If you are looking for a no-cost solution, take a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323441/en-us for the server and: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305550/en-us (assuming Windows XP Pro) for the client.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is exactly why VPN's exist. I have several clients that I connect to with a VPN, and I can access the folders on the server just like I was at a local workstation, only a bit slower. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice