1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sixty1blue, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixty1blue

sixty1blue Thread Starter

My HP Pavilion laptop is not completely frozen. My touchpad works, as do some of the function keys like mute and light/darken screen, plus the up arrow so I can see the background desktop (lock screen?) with pretty picture, time, date and battery status.

The problem is the "Sign in" and the power/restart/shut down/hibernate, etc option thing are "darkened," you know that thing the computer does when things are not available, when features/menu items are not current options.

It's like my laptop is stuck in shut down, but won't actually shut down or restart. And as a computer is shutting down you lose features and can't do much if anything with it. This has happened a couple times before during updates. Both times I unplugged it, waited for the power to drain, plugged it back in and it started as normal no problem.
    No such luck this time.

I have heard of similar problems in support forums, but most of that was upgrading from 8 to 10 so I doubt they can help me.

I have an HP Pavilion 5th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor with Windows 10 Home 8GB memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. sixty1blue

sixty1blue Thread Starter

holding down the power button for 20 seconds until it switched off worked. it just restarted like normal.

3. Floridagal1

Floridagal1

If it happens again you might want to consider a System Recovery. Believe it or not, sometimes the factory install doesn't go right. My daughter had this happen with a Windows 8 computer. Two days after she got it it still hadn't activated. We contacted Microsoft who, surprise, sent us back to Lenovo. The tech at Lenovo was very knowledgeable. He walked us through the System Recovery and once it was done Windows activated immediately. He informed us that Windows doesn't activate at the factory but instead the first time you get online. Didn't know that. Anyway, something went wrong with the Windows install which corrected itself with the Recovery.

bobs-here likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice