1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my broadband router disconnects the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by inferlogic, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inferlogic

inferlogic Thread Starter

Hi all
    I have a problem with my router

Previously when i first got the router both client computers that was online both had windows 98, I connected the router, installed the router wizard on the cd and boom both computers where working fine online.

I then recently change my operating system to windws 2000 NT technology, the other client has remained with windows 98, I have reset my router settings and tried to re-install the router settings via the cd. Both computers work with the internet for about a couple of minutes then all of a sudden our IE browsers stop working and we cannot access the internet anymore unless we restart our computers and re-power the modem and router. things like yahoo messenger seem to carry on working on the machines.

We use a cable connection for our internet, our router is just a standard broudband router made by Peak ( I believe)

Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix our problem

Thank you.
    Tazzy

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

In IE... tools->internet options->connection->LAN settings.... Take the check out of the box for automaticaly detect settings.

Also might be a dns issue....

3. inferlogic

inferlogic Thread Starter

im at work at the momment mtown so will try your advice when i get home.

thank you

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

If that doesn't fix it... Try this:
    When your IE drops connection (but you can still messenger)
    at a command prompt, type:
    ping google.com
    whats the response?
    then type:
    ping 216.239.57.99
    whats the response?

If you get replies for the second, but not the first... your computer or router or modem is forgetting its DNS settings. Hardcode your dns servers into the router.

5. jt999

jt999

i find my broadband disconnects every now and then and have traced it to my sky digital plugged into my phone line, as it has no dsl filter it disconnects, you checked for anything at all plugged into telephone lines?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice