1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My BUILT-IN webcam can't be detected?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alwayslove, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alwayslove

alwayslove Thread Starter

Jul 2, 2010
    I just got my computer back from the shop to fix a few problems [which they didn't], and now I found a problem I never had before: my Yahoo! Messenger cannot detect my built in webcam. I'm not sure how this happened, it's worked like a charm for years now, and now I can't use it. I was told to go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager -> Imaging Devices, but my camera never showed up, the only program that shows up is WSD Scan Device. I tried to do the "set up voice and video" in Yahoo, but it only detected my microphone and speakers, not my camera. I think my software is called Cyberlink YouCam, but I can't even do anything with it now because my camera cannot be detected.

I'm using a 64-bit Windows Vista, HP Pavilion dv5. someone help please? I don't understand how something can't be detected when it's built in to the computer :(
  2. daz1

daz1 Banned

Nov 4, 2006
    it would not be detected if its dead or faulty or has been disconnected by the computer shop.
    in device manager start type device manager enter are there any yellow ? marks or red Xs yes track driver down, no go to top tab scan for hidden devices see if that flags it up
  3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

May 12, 2002
    What's the exact model number of that HP Pavilion dv5 laptop?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product/part number on the sticker is.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941307