1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My buttons are not loading

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Ziggy1, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having a hard time with my pages not showing their buttons, I just published all the pages using Front page 2003 ( server has FP extensions installed)... the buttons are visible until you mouse over, then they does not come back on "mouse out" ?

I would prefer to just use FP and get it done, I've lost too much time messing around with other things....arghh

This is my site...

http://www.sweetpeasmudbog.ca/index.html

I read this article, and although I could not find the file on the server, I did set the option to transfer "ALL" files, but it didn't help? Do I actually have to Delete it as instructed, or should the overwrite not do it anyways?

thanks in advance

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    This image path in your coding seems to show the buttons OK when the page first loads
    /*url*/'borders/Left/button32.jpg'

Your mouseover and mouseout functions seem to be dropping "borders" from the image path
    /*url*/'Left/button32.jpg'

Not sure if FP would be causing this or if it is just a coding error on your part.

3. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

thanks cw,

at the moment I've removed the interactive buttons and just placed the static image ( I just did it)... I am using "Include" pages and I read somewhere that it doesn't work well with the interactive buttons? These button action are built in to FP it's very complicated to change anything... I can see if it will let me edit the code for the buttons without rewriting it.

I'll add back a test button. (edit) I added the button and the paths all look to point to the same folder?

one thing I noticed is it does not like the border folder and it even copied my left/right/bottom/top pages out to the root... I deleted them but sometimes I have to close and reopen FP because it won't display the border pages in the folder?

What program do you use?

4. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Ziggy, you are best getting rid of FP because of the rubbish bloated code that it produces. M$ has replaced it some time ago with M$ Expression Web which is a pay for programme like FP was. They have also released a free programme called M$ Visual Web Developer Express which is similar to FP but it produces proper code. Alternatively if your pockets are deep you could use Dreamweaver or use something like Notepad++ which is free and code by hand.

As to your image roll over you are better doing that in CSS rather than with FP extensions. There was a thread on that the other day here have a read of that and come back if you have problems.

5. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

thanks Colin,

I know, I hear negative things about FP all the time..it's good for basics, but gives me headach if I try to do anything fancy, and I'm still learning so I need to use the programs features to write the code.

I'll look at what you suggested...anything to relieve this stress :)

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am using FP2003 at the moment and try to avoid using any special Microsoft / Internet Explorer only features. The borders function always gave me problems where pages would edit OK for ages and then all of a sudden the border contents of all pages would be broken links. Now I just make common footers and navigation menus as simple included pages.

When I first saw your post, I thought it might have been related to another problem that would hit me every so often. I would have file name extensions change case on me where a graphic changed from using .jpg to .JPG but the link to it stayed at .jpg. It worked fine checking on my computer but showed as missing images on the server.

I agree with colinsp that the HTML produced by FP can be extremely bloated.

7. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

I'm using "include" pages also on this site, I just started using them...my problem is I have a left/right side and I'm having a hard time keeping them the same height...any idea how to control this? It's a pain because if I add stuff to one side, I have to fix and never seem to be able to get exactly equal.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    There might be a way to balance the column lengths using CSS instead of using tables containing empty paragraphs but I make no claims to any expertise in using style sheets.

On the other hand I can be spelling nit picker at times, I believe the correct spelling is "Alcohol", not "Alchohol"

9. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

Thanks... I'll read up on making them balance.... thanks for the "Spell check" :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice