1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My caffeine induced rambling...

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by marcus77, Sep 17, 2004.

1. marcus77

marcus77 Thread Starter

I can't understand why the company's stance on security. We get a worm every few weeks, IE is the company-recommended browser (they removed Netscape from everyone's computers over a year ago), and spyware runs rampant on everyone's computers. I've installed Ad-Aware, Spyware S&D, and Firefox both at work and home and don't download anything at work. Yesterday, I had over 50 items Ad-Aware found (which were not cookies), and Spyware S&D usually finds spyware once every few weeks on my work computer. On my home computer, I have yet to find anything besides cookies. The huge lack of network security greatly concerns me at work. Are the companies (don't give names) that anyone works for like this?

2. twotugs

twotugs

Mine is. I consider my computer at work a "No-Man's Land" when it comes to doing anything even remotely secure. We're not to install any Microsoft patches (I think the update icon in the taskbar has burned into the monitor now). And yet, the day after Blaster hit last year (Aug. 12th, I think), the server was mysteriously off-line for most of the day.

I understand that a company's network can be a fragile thing, especially when multiple users who may not be that computer-savvy are running amok with administrator privileges. I also know the two IT guys at my company work their butts off to keep us running; they earn their salaries, for sure. And it's likely they have a good reason for not updating our computers. But I won't be surprised if we get hit again. And I'll continue to treat my work computer as a compromised machine.

3. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Ive found that the best way to handle the head geniuses at a work place is to politely recomend a course of action... and if they don't grow a brain cell or two... click heals... salute and do exactly what they tell you and watch the fertilizer hit the fan. Sound like I'm talking about kids... but it's the only way they learn.

At work... we use Gen-Rad circuit board testers. These testers are old and don't hold a tolerance fine enough to test accurately a 1% resistor. So during the test... they would often fail by a small margin. But this never gave a problem.
    But... about 4 years ago some super brain in management decided that there would be a 0 tolerance. and instituted a "pass-fail" policy. Basically... if the circuit board failed on the gen-rad test... regardless of the reasons it was to go back to the trouble shooting department for repair.
    Many of the people there were going to refuse... But I told them they should do exactly as they were told. And that is exactly what I did. I tested each board... about 85% of the boards failed the resistors by .1 to .5% and I marked them and sent them back to be repaired.
    After sending back 200+ boards... the policy was removed in less than 3 days. ;)

So basically... if you have given your advise and da management still has their finger up their butt... Just do exactly what they want. And when the server goes down in flames... be polite... but be sure they know what caused the meltdown.

I guarantee they will then find the time to fix things right afterword. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice