1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My CD-ROM, CD Burner, and 3.5 Floppy Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CompG33k, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

My CD rom and CD burner wont detect and my Floppy drive detects but doesn't recognize it when i put a disk in it. I have

Windows XP Pro
    P2 400mhz
    Matrox Millenium G400 Duelhead (32mb)
    Asus 40x
    Sony Spressa 8x4x32x

PLEASE PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi CompG33k, welcome to TSG....

Is this a new build? Has it ever worked?

Have you checked the cd drive cables to be sure they are connected correctly? Are the drives jumpered correctly? Do they show up in the bios setup?

When you say the floppy detects, does the light come on then go out, or does it stay lit?

3. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

this is not a new build, the drives have worked before, but the CD-ROM and burner dont appear in bios. the cables are connected properly and the jumper settings are set. The light on the floppy never comes on however. I just bought this floppy drive to replace the old one that stopped working, but it looks like that wasn't the problem.

4. ~Candy~

If the light on the floppy drive is not coming on, then either the floppy drive is bad or the power connector is not connected or correctly connected.....can you double check? It is possible to put it on upside down by forcing it a bit......

Also, are the cd drives getting power? If so, what are your options in the bios setup to re-recognize the drives? I'm assuming the hard drive is being recognized correctly and you are able to access windows?

What's the setup for master/slave on the both ide channels?

5. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

man this is insane. my IDE cables (the thick gray ones, aren't they called IDE cables?) where not quite connected properly. I guess they had gotten a little lose and came out a little bit, just enough not to work. small errors like that can cause quite a bit of grief i guess....

6. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

my floppy drive still doesn't work. The computer detects it but when i put a disk in... no response... also, my computer now detects the CDrom and burner, but they still dont work

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

any suggestions?

7. ~Candy~

Alrighty, so you are fine now????? (yes, the one that go to the hard drives are ide cables)

We posted at the same time.....on startup, (without a floppy disk in the floppy drive) does the light come on then go back out?

If so, take the floppy out of the computer and hook it up on the outside.....does it read a floppy that way?

8. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

no im not alright now, but at least my computer is detecting the hard drives

9. ~Candy~

Code 19
    Your registry may be bad. (Code 19)

To check your registry, click Check Registry. If the registry is bad, Windows will restart your system and go back to a previous registry that is good.

Solution button: Check Registry

This code means that the registry returned an unknown result.

To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution, which will run Scanreg.exe. If this does not resolve the issue, type "scanreg /restore" (without quotation marks) from a command prompt. Finally, remove the device from Device Manager, and then redetect it using the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel.

I don't do XP, but hopefully, this will work the same......

10. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

i cant run that in command prompt or in start-run, its not available in XP i guess....

11. ~Candy~

It has to be done from a c:\ prompt.....not inside windows.

If it's going to work at all.........

12. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

i did it in C:\ prompt in windows there is no DOS with XP

13. ~Candy~

Ok, sit tight, don't keep restarting, I'm looking for someone with XP experience........

14. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

your the best... honestly...

15. CompG33k

CompG33k Thread Starter

ok heres what it says

C:\>scanreg /restore
    'SCANREG' is not reconginzed as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    C:\>

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice