My Cd-rom drive won't play my audio CDs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nanken4

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
8
Hi, I am new here and am very grateful that an online forum like this exists to help people like me who have problems.
When I insert an audio cd into my drive, it won't spin and then play. Even when I go to my Real Player or Cd Player it says that there is no disc inserted. Now when I put in my clipart cd-roms it works just fine. Does anyone know what's wrong? I've checked my wires and everything is plugged in correctly.

When I have a CD inserted and go to My Computer and then click onto the "R" drive, it lists the set and number of songs on the CD but when I click onto them they won't play. I'd appreciate any help you may offer. Thank you in advance! :)
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,429
Try putting a set of earphones in the front panel jack and seeing if it's playing there. You may have to adjust the volume control on the panel of the drive to hear it. If it's playing there, it's most likely either the audio cable is missing, or your sound card setting are incorrect for CD audio.
 

nanken4

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
8
Originally posted by johnwill:
Try putting a set of earphones in the front panel jack and seeing if it's playing there. You may have to adjust the volume control on the panel of the drive to hear it. If it's playing there, it's most likely either the audio cable is missing, or your sound card setting are incorrect for CD audio.

The earphones worked, but how do I adjust the settings on my sound card? Thanks for getting back to me:D
 
Joined
Mar 3, 2000
Messages
4,168
If you are using windows media player there is an option there that will aloow you to adjust the volume. Also if you have a little speaker in the taskbar by the time double click it and check the settings there. Make sure mute is not check.
 

nanken4

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
8
I checked all my volume controls and none are on mute. I just don't get it. I've never had a problem like this before:confused:
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,429
Has the machine been apart since it stopped playing? What O/S are you running?
 

nanken4

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
8
Nope, haven't taken it apart. It's Windows 98 SE and the only thing I've done differently was update Quicktime. I'm thinking that my cd-rom is just broke because it doesn't want to spin an audio cd. I don't know, but I appreciate all the replies and if you have an idea of what to do please let me know. :)
 
Joined
Mar 3, 2000
Messages
4,168
If you can access data cd's it is not broke. If you can not access aby cd disks then it may be the drive. If it happened when you added Quicktime that may be the problem.

Try accessing a game or other disk and let us know.
 

nanken4

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
8
I inserted a PC game and it worked except there was no sound. I even deleted Quicktime just to see what would happen, but nothing changed:( Any more ideas?:cool:
 
Joined
Dec 16, 2001
Messages
1,869
Have you moved the PC recently? There is a cable going from the cd to the sound card (or motherboard if audio is on board) that may have come loose.

Just a thought
 
Joined
Mar 3, 2000
Messages
4,168
The drive should be ok then. Are you getting any sound at all on the computer? Like the windows start and shut down?
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,429
Originally posted by nanken4:
I'm thinking that my cd-rom is just broke because it doesn't want to spin an audio cd.
It's pretty clear that the CD drive isn't broken, since it plays the audio CD's through the front panel. It's obviously spinning them, they don't play well if they aren't spinning! :D

I think you have toasted your sound card settings with the installation of Quicktime, but it's difficult to say without seeing it. I think it's time to uninstall the sound card software totally, reboot and reinstall it.

I never did see an answer to the question if you were getting ANY sounds from the computer, are you?
 

nanken4

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
8
Originally posted by johnwill:
It's pretty clear that the CD drive isn't broken, since it plays the audio CD's through the front panel. It's obviously spinning them, they don't play well if they aren't spinning! :D

I think you have toasted your sound card settings with the installation of Quicktime, but it's difficult to say without seeing it. I think it's time to uninstall the sound card software totally, reboot and reinstall it.

I never did see an answer to the question if you were getting ANY sounds from the computer, are you?

Nope, I can't get any sound at all; not even any of the Windows sounds or viewing e-cards on the net. Nothing. I did tighten up all the wires last night but it didn't change anything unfortunately. When I played an audio CD right before I noticed I wasn't receiving sound, the audio was terrible; very scratchy and tinny. Playing a CD never sounded that bad before. Could it be my speakers?
 
Joined
Dec 16, 2001
Messages
1,869
My thought at this point is your sound drivers are corrupted. I would suggest going into control panel and removing the sound card. Reboot and let windows re-install. Ensure you have the sound card driver disk handy.

SeeYa
 

nanken4

Thread Starter
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
8
Originally posted by rugrat:
My thought at this point is your sound drivers are corrupted. I would suggest going into control panel and removing the sound card. Reboot and let windows re-install. Ensure you have the sound card driver disk handy.

SeeYa
Thanks, Rugrat, for the response. This may be a stupid question, but where is my sound card on the control panel?:eek:
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top