1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My CD-RW not working & i need to format my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by poppea, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poppea

poppea Thread Starter

Hi everybody,
    My laptop (toshiba satellite) has windows vista in german :( cos last format i did, i didn't know the cd recovery was in german.
    I've got lately the english recovery disk but my cd reader is not working.
    So i copied the files to a removable hard disk and chose it as a boot device but it didn't work.
    Any idea how i can overcome this beside repairing my cd writer or using an external cd reader?

thx

2. Tuvach

Tuvach

You can change the regional and language settings in vista see - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/2bac0e03-c331-48fc-8b7e-b66b8007512d1033.mspx

That might help, I know its in german but using the Icons (and a little trial and error guess work) to show you what it is your opening might be a good way to go untill someone can come up with how you could make a bootable USB key that can load the Recovery App.

New Idea: If the HDD is Sata plug it into any PC with a optical drive (and sata) and install it that way then take it out and put it back in the laptop if its IDE you can get converters so that you can plug the 2.5" notebook drive in to a PC IDE Cable. (not sure what there called though)
    PLEASE NOTE: I haven't done that before but it might work, May just have to fiddle with drivers.

Hope that helps =)

3. poppea

poppea Thread Starter

i've already tried to change to US.english in every tab in regional language & settings but everything remain in german... Thx anyway for the hint

4. Tuvach

Tuvach

Dam sorry to hear that man, You could always try the "New Idea" post there. But that really only helps if you have a PC that you can use =(

5. poppea

poppea Thread Starter

i invested in a removable dvd burner & it reads quite well my english bootable vista premium disk...
    I chose it as a bootable medium and i got this message after it finishes loading windows files
    The message shows in a msdos prompt window x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe-startnet.cmd
    -waiting for ODD to become available
    -ODD DRIVE D: ready
    - Check for medium in drive D:...
    & you have one line ticking round & round & the format operation never begins?

any ideas pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice