1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My CD-writer keeps unplugging itself...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drift King, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drift King

Drift King Thread Starter

Hello,
    Recently, I've been having problems with my HP cd-writer. The cd-writer automatically plugs and unplugs itself... even when I'm not using it!! I want to know what's going on and how to fix this problem. Thanks

2. norton850

norton850

"The cd-writer automatically plugs and unplugs itself"

Do you mean this literally or is it something else, like it stops working?

3. ballpark570

ballpark570

If any of my hardware ever unplugs itself I will immediately take up stamp collecting...........

4. Drift King

I mean, it stops working. For instance, I'll be surfing the Internet, and then a message pops up saying that the cd-writer has been "unsafely unplugged." When I go to Add/Remove Hardware, it doesn't show up in their menu. When I go to My Computer, the cd-writer icon/drive is gone. Please help!!

5. norton850

norton850

And how do you get it working again?

6. Drift King

I dunno... it just does... but it just ends up unplugging itself again.

7. TSGTSP

TSGTSP

Time to send it to the computer hardware disciplinary school... Ok bad joke, anyway, what kind of writer is it? Internal or USB? If it's USB then try plugging it in another port, if it's internal then try unplugging and re-installing it.

8. norton850

norton850

Connection is being lost to the drive. When you get the message does there seem to be power to the drive? Can you still open the drawer?

It could also be the IDE cable connection. If there seems to be power to the drive check connections to the drive and motherboard.

9. Drift King

No, I cannot open the drawer

It is an HP cd-writer 9100 series... if that helps

10. norton850

norton850

As TSGTSP has pointed out is this a internal drive? If so check the power cable to the drive. You can also try a different power connector.

11. Drift King

Well... it's working for now... just kinda disturbing that I keep on getting an error message because it keeps on unplugging. Anyway, thanks!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/358995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice