1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My CDRW is coming up as a Primary Slave!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amer_1, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amer_1

amer_1 Thread Starter

I bought a new computer, and my brother and I put it together. When I turn on the computer, it runs EXTREMLY slow through Post and then when it gets to the A:>prompt (no OS on t his one yet!) it reads c:> drive as the CDRW. No hard drive to be found!! I then tried just unplugging the CDRW and it ran through great, but still has a problem of not showing the Hard drive though it has been detected. What I need to know is this: Why does my CDRW come up as a primary master/slave item when it is just a CDRW?! Is there a way to fix it??

2. brianF

brianF

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Make sure the jumper on the hard drive is set on Master and the jumper on the CDRW is set to slave if they share the same cable. Ideally, the cdrw should be set to Master and put on the Secondary IDE port. Using both devices on the same cable could cause slow responce from the hard drive.

4. amer_1

amer_1 Thread Starter

Hello, no it is a old 12 g hard drive and I did go through bios, and did autodetect and left the others on 'none'. It still did not work. COuld it be that the Computer was not made for CDRW?

5. brianF

brianF

For now disconnect the cdrw. Just try to get the hard drive to recognize.

What brand of hard drive

Make sure jumper is set to master, or single installation with the cdrw removed

Did the hard drive ever have a bios overlay installed, if so it will need to be uninstalled.

6. amer_1

amer_1 Thread Starter

Hello, they are on seperate cables and I have set the CDRW from Master (since it came up under primary master) to slave. Still does not work. I had tried 3 different hard drives, connected the CDRW and HD onto the same cable and seperately, yet nothing happens. It is not reading the CDRW seperatly as it did in my previous computer.

7. amer_1

amer_1 Thread Starter

How do you uninstall it? In the POST it reads the HD but at the c: prompt there is nothing.

It is a western Digital HD.

I have disconnected it, rebooted and when it comes to the prompt, and I type dir in the c:, it shows me what is on the CDRW not the HD. no other letters exist. It won't even let me FDISK it.

8. brianF

brianF

Are you sure you don't have the primary and secondary ide ports and cables reversed.

Seems like it, if the cdrw was on it's own cable and showed up on the primary that's the only way it could happen that I can see.

9. CLMSS

CLMSS

Hi,did you try what Brian said ??I had this problem before its now fixed...its simple really.Behind your CD-RW there should be there should be a small port with a jumper on it (in case u dont know what a jumper is its a plastic sort of thing) well it should be set to the first pin there,all you need to do is to move it to the middle pin.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice