1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My clean install experience with win8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by StoneRyno, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Back at the beginning of September I had the following experience with my acer W700P tablet (quoted from my post on the official acer forum). You can skip reading the quote if you don't want to read a lot. In a nut shell the problem went away as long as the update was never done. But unfortunately it was done a second time and I was not able to return to the previous state by restore point. Thought continues past the quote.

So I had spent a couple weeks after posting that trying to figure out a way to backup the whole drive so I could restore windows. Unfortunately it came down to doing zip files and saving them to my PCs share using safe mode and connected to the network. Stupid me for not having macrium reflect installed, but windows 8 was working so flawlessly it lulled me into forgetting about it. I discovered at that point that recovery didn't work because it couldn't see the recovery partition. And the recovery USB that I was asked to make when I initially setup the tablet also didn't work. Which was supposed to be a fail safe to the partition as far as I was aware. So with a couple more weeks of no replies to and not finding a solution to the recovery problem I gave up and went without my tablet. But once the holiday season was past I kept running into situations where I would use my tablet but couldn't and had to make due without it.

The other day I couldn't take it any more so I took up the search to find a way to fix my tablet. Thankfully and apparently the long passage of time from the first span of time trying to find the solution refreshed my brain and I found results I hadn't before. Perhaps had I remembered about this forum back then I could have had my tablet fixed. But the following quote of my post to the acer forum the other day to confirm that I was doing the right thing has the results I found in it. Skip reading the quote if there is too much to read. In a nut shell I had found two choices: fix things so recovery could use the recovery partition or do what appeared to be a clean install of windows. Thought continues after quote.

I was uncertain of the success I would have with the first option (making it so recovery was able to use the recovery partition again). And I wasn't absolutely sure the other option was indeed a clean install as if I had a windows 8 disc instead of the recovery partition. And was concerned that I might make things worse with either method I ended up using. This whole issue is why I always have had concerns with recovery partitions over physical media. Just like every tech savvy person I have ever known employed in tech support or otherwise. But anyway, after days of only getting a reply from an acer employee telling me to buy a recovery disc from them I decided to sort of gamble with, what I figured to be the better of the two options, the microsoft USB installation media. My concern going forward with that was it would end up not being what I thought it was or I'd run into a windows key problem and have to call acer and try to get them to send me a free copy of the recovery disc todo the clean install of windows. After all I paid $1,000 for the tablet the disc should have been free with it. But anyway, it turns out that microsoft USB installation media is just like having the windows 8 disc. And there was no windows key issue. I am used to the past where you had to enter the key from a sticker you got with the disc or machine. I had no idea the key was part of the tablet somehow. I had read it in the thread but didn't know if it applied to mine. Which was part of the gamble I suppose.

I guess the bottom line here is I should have come here instead, had I thought about it, and would have had no frustration at all back in September and had the use of my tablet all this time instead of all that mess right? Hopefully enough read this to make posting this worth it. As that has to be the worst experience I have ever had in spite of all my experience fixing problems with windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice