1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My comp memory is caped

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TR3CK, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TR3CK

TR3CK Thread Starter

I have 2gig of physical RAM but i cant use more than ~1.05gig of it (this number is taked from the Windows Task Manager PF Usage). On XP when i get above it, i cant open new apps, i cant use context menu on app, get error message, crash, etc.

I have 2gig of RAM on a pair of 1gig memory DIMMs. I have try to remove 1 DIMM to have only 1 gig to see what will happen and i have still get the same problem at exactly ~1.05gig. So i have come to the conclusion that's not a hardware problem but software problem (XP).

Anyone know what can i do?

Thanks

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Welcome to TSG! Windows always pages out, no matter the RAM. What are the exact error messages. XP Home or Pro? Do you have the applied service packs? Are these DIMMS matched? ie same speed?

3. TR3CK

TR3CK Thread Starter

I have a Kingston ValueRAM kit of 2 DIMMs for dual channel and XP Pro with SP2. The error message are not always the same. Most of the time i dont even get error message, just strange things happen, like menus that disappear or i cant open a new IE window and others apps.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Bad RAM stick, Try one stick and see what errors, if any you get. Still having trouble? Try the other stick. Rare that kingston goes bad, IMO, very good RAM but it does go bad.

5. sockey99

sockey99

Test memory with Mem Test 86. DL to bootable floppy or bootable CD.
    Start with both sticks. If you get errors, test each separately to find the bar one.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice