1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My compuetr power's on for 3 seconds then turns off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tmoney900, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tmoney900

Tmoney900 Thread Starter

After that I cannot turn it on with the motherboard or the power. It happens every time I power on the psu. Does it with my old power supply as well. HELP!!!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

How old was the PSU in the PC and how do you know the older one you tried is any good.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to provide more info.

Have you changed anything ie added a new video card, swapped mb, etc?
    You list some very pw hungry hardware. What pw supply did you swap in to test?

4. Tmoney900

Tmoney900 Thread Starter

I changed from a 750W to a 1000w psu and yes it happened with my old power supply this is something very recent.

5. Megabite

Megabite

Anything happened before this that might be related?

Have you removed any un needed devices.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, as I understand the issue you had a problem and tried a different pw supply. Problem is still there; is that correct?

Have you tried with all drives disconnected, all usb devices disconnected and any add-in cards pulled [except the video card] If not, do so. If it posts like that, then start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If it does not post, then you will have to swap parts with known good units, ie ram, mb, cpu, etc.

7. Tmoney900

Tmoney900 Thread Starter

I just went through and checked the system and now I'm getting it to start up but I might have found the problem. The D-Ram light went on which is odd b/c my RAM is compatible with my mobo, and now for some odd reason I'm getting no picture.

8. Tmoney900

Tmoney900 Thread Starter

So ya it's probably not a psu problem.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You list 12gig of ram. Pull out ALL ram and pw ON. You should get a beep code [if you have a speaker connected]

Now shutdown and install just a single ram chip and pw ON. See if the board will complete post. If it does, then repeat with another ram chip. You may have a single ram chip that has failed or you may have a problem with the mb.

10. Tmoney900

Tmoney900 Thread Starter

I'm getting no beep code from the speaker.

11. Tmoney900

Tmoney900 Thread Starter

That's without the RAM.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do not get a beep code with all ram removed, that points at a failed board.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059176