1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer cannot access my external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skillit, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skillit

Skillit Thread Starter

Hello. Hoping that someone can help me out here and that I did not lose everything off my hard drive.

This started just last night. I have a 300 gig external hard drive (I forget the brand, if that is relevant). When turn the hard drive on it starts running and my computer recognizes it in My Computer. However, I cannot access the hard drive in any way. When I try to there is a response about 2 minutes later saying "F:\ is not accessible. Error performing inpage operation."

The LED on my hard drive enclosure remains lit and is red or green, I do not know the relevance of that either.

If I left out any relevant information, please let me know and i will try and obtain it.

Please let me know if there is any suggestions to getting my hard drive to work again. Or if there is any possible way for me to get the information off of it, if it is otherwise dead.

Thank you.

2. bigbear

bigbear

See if you can access the drive through diskmanagement
    Go to start>run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter

3. Skillit

Skillit Thread Starter

Yes, the had drive appears there, but it says it has 100 percent free space when really about only 25% is free space. It also says that it is healthy.

Is there anything that I can do from the Ddisk Management?

4. bigbear

bigbear

If you right click on the drive can you open it?
    If you can't I suggest you take the drive out of the caddy and install it as a slave in your pc and see if you can access it from there.
    Make sure it is jumpered correctly, cable select CS or slave SL

5. Skillit

Skillit Thread Starter

No it will not let me open it if i right click it. I also have a laptop so i cant install it in my computer either.

6. bigbear

bigbear

7. Skillit

Skillit Thread Starter

that program could not find anything off of it. I wont be able to try taking it out of its case for a couple of weeks until i visit a friend that is more capable of doing such things than me. Thank you for all you help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice