1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer comes on at random after being completely shut down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by southernsweety83, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. southernsweety83

southernsweety83 Thread Starter

Hi there.My Dell Latitude 0820 comes on at random after I've completely shut it down.If I don't remember to unplug it,it will come on as if I turned it on. I've made sure that my options for when its closed are for shut down, but to no avail. I've had several computers and never seen anything like this.Also my keyboard mouse moves itself when I am trying to use it even though I've cleaned it thoroughly.I'm pretty much a novice with things such as this and I don't just want anyone to try to fix it, for fear of them messing up something else or making the problem worse.Please help!:eek::confused:

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You said that you shut it down by closing the lid. What happens if you go to the start icon and choose the option shut down to shut down the computer. Does it still randomly come on? Or only when you just close the lid to shut it down?

3. southernsweety83

I meant that when I" shut it down from the start menu,it still comes on

4. southernsweety83

I've tried to see if maybe it comes on at a specific time that it comes on, but it comes on at different times and there doesn't seem to be a pattern.I just said that I checked the lid options because sometimes I've heard of laptops not shutting down properly because the lid options weren't set correctly.

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I don't even know how that would happen. You said this only happens when the computer is plugged into an outlet with an ac adapter? But doesn't happen if it is unplugged? Is that correct?

6. southernsweety83

Right.See,I don't keep my battery in my computer because doing that drains the life from the battery.So I usually just keep it plugged into the power cord unless I'm sleeping. I usually shut it down when I get off of it during the day but I leave it plugged in so I don't have to keep plugging it up if I need to get back on it.And that's when it decides to have a mind of it's own and come on at any random time. I've never seen anything like it,I swear it's freaky.Nobody I know has ever seen anything like it either and I get no answers when trying to search for anyone who's ever heard about or seen laptops just turning on at random.I'm totally baffled and would really love to find out about what could be the cause of this.

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    When you say it comes back on, does it proceed through the boot process like when you first turn on the computer, or does it just appear the windows login screen with user accounts?

Also, when you click shut down, does the screen turn black right away or does it actually say shutting down windows and such?

These might seem like dumb questions, but I guess it could be possible for the shut down and sleep/hibernate operations to be switched. I have never seen it and don't know if it is even possible, but I wouldn't count it out. So when you are clicking "shut down" it is actually executing "sleep" or "hibernate" if that makes sense.

The reason the computer doesn't come back on when you remove the ac adapter is because there is no power supplied to the computer. It has no battery, so that cannot provide power and it isn't plugged in so no power there either.

I would be curious what would happen if you put the battery in and turned off the computer, making sure the battery is fully charged, just to see if it still comes back on or not.

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I would keep your battery in the computer as it is designed to charge when plugged in, since you keep it plugged in, and will quit charging when reaching the batteries full charge capability. Better to leave it in than not as the battery will slowly discharge when not in use.

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I agree with both of you. I have seen a lot of discrepancies in regards to batteries. Not having the battery in will slowly discharge the life of it, but keeping the battery in and plugged in can also shorten the life of it, because of the heat. I think the best way is to keep the battery in, but remove the ac adapter once the battery is fully charged. Again, a lot of discrepancies so I don't know what is exactly the best

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    These laptop batteries are designed to be left in. I cannot recall ever seeing instructions to remove these batteries from the computer. The way I use my old Dell D610 laptop is to keep the battery in and charged up, then at least once a week I use it without the charger and let it discharge by using it. I get just over 2 hours on this old geezer and then I charge it back up. This is good for the battery to be used in this manner.

11. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I don't think a manufacturer of a laptop would mention removing the battery from the laptop in the instructions. For people who always keep their laptop plugged in like a desktop, it makes sense for them to remove the battery. There is added heat when always plugged into an outlet and having the battery in only increases that heat. Heat isn't good for the battery so this could decrease the life of the battery. Do u agree with this?

12. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There are as I see it only two possible answers

1. The laptop is NOT shutting down. The symptom of this of course would be that the HDD activity LED is still illuminated, and/or other leds, after you have apparently shut down.

2. The laptop has been set wake on wireless lan
    Go device manager, expand network adapters
    open by double click the wireless adapter - click power management and if the box - allow this device to wake the computer is checked, uncheck it.

This presumes it is not connected - hard wired - Ethernet to a modem/router, if it is check the power management on that device as well as the wireless

There is one other possible cause, please try what I have said and post back with results.

13. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Purduebmaker7,
    When I was working I had my work laptop plugged in 24/7 and never had a heat issue with it. My battery lasted over two years. The reason I know this is that I had to turn the computer in after the two year period because the company leased them. The way they are designed and the location of the batteries, off to the side, keep them from interfering with the rest of the unit. I guess we will agree to disagree :)

14. jenae

jenae

Hi, go to start, search and type cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

Code:
    echo > 0 & powercfg -lastwake  >> 0 & powercfg -DEVICEQUERY all_devices >> 0 & powercfg -a  >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0
    press enter ,Please post the notepad outcome here.

15. jaffrey_computer

jaffrey_computer

To rule out an incomplete shutdown. Unplug it after what you believe is a shutdown and then plug it back in. Since you don't keep the battery in it this will ensure it's dead cold. If it restarts after that you most likely have a hardware failure in the motherboard. If it does not come back on, it isn't shutting down completely and is likely to be woken up via the wifi as mentioned. AS for keeping the battery out. It really makes no difference, Those particular laptops manage the battery very effectively and you really wont see any benefit to keeping it out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice