1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer crashed and my Master's Thesis is on it!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clindlau, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clindlau

clindlau Thread Starter

My computer crashed and my Master's Thesis is on it!!

I have a gateway purchased just a few months ago. I was using the computer one moment and it turned itself off. Now when I power it back on, all power lights and LEDs come on and the exhaust fan runs loudly. The computer does not enter BIOS, and sends no signal to the monitor. I attached it to my in home network (but am guessing the reason it didn't show up is because Windows never booted).

Gateway support had me jump through a bunch of useless hoops before asking me to mail my tower to them. While I have every confidence in them, I can't exactly wait for two-three weeks to get my PC back.

Any suggestions about what I should try, or problem diagnosis. Is it my motherboard?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You should remove the hard drive and slave it to another computer (or buy an external USB enclosure) to extract the data.

(You should never have allowed yourself to trust the hard drive with your only copy of the thesis either, they also can die at an alarming rate!)

Once connected to another PC (that runs Windows 2000 or XP or it will not read the NTFS data) you will need to "take ownership" of the folders to get at the data, as explained here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

3. linskyjack

linskyjack

Yes, and when you get up and running again, you should back up your MA frequently!

4. clindlau

clindlau Thread Starter

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

6. saikee

saikee

The cheapest and fastest solution should be getting hold of a Linux Live CD, that can run a full operating system without being installed into the hard disk, and mount the unbootable disk. The Live CD is freely available from magazine and downloadable from Interent. The instruction to mount a Windows partition is easy and simple.

You can continue with your work, doing a backup to retrieve all the data in the mean time and possibly use the Linux to diagnose the hard disk problem if not fixing it.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

OP stated that system isn't entering BIOS. Looks like it died.

8. brite750

brite750

sounds like one of the rails in your psu died. I doubt its your hdd because that would still let you have graphics and get to bios, no video could be psu, gfx card, ram, cpu . mobo but not hdd. As others have said I hope this scares you into have a backup plan, an external hdd is nice to have.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice