1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Computer Crashes When Playing Videos and Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LogiRogi, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Hello all. I have been having the same problems with my desktop (a Frankenstein's monster of different parts first put together with assistance at the closest Frys store) that have spanned at least a few years. I've needed it for college and it mostly works for what I need it to do so I left it like this but would now like to once and for all solve the problem.

I'm running Windows 7 with a MSI mainboard, AMD FX-4100 CPU, 4 Gigs of RAM, currently connected to a ATI Radeon Graphics card connected to a cheap, old HP Pavilion mx50 monitor.

Okay, so the symptoms. Originally, when my computer was left to idle the monitor would shut down as monitors usually will but along with the monitor the whole system would be in a coma that I couldn't even use the off button to stop. I had to push the switch on the back to turn it off. Now it can idle for at least thirty minutes, but I think if left for an hour or two it does the same thing. Unfortunately I forgot how I managed to improve this problem.

The second problem still happens and is my major concern. When running certain functions the computer will either do the same as above or it will crash and immediately turn off the whole system. I can watch DVDs without problems for several hours and mp4s for at least twenty minutes but if I watch for longer, play Minecraft, or even watch Youtube for a significant portion of time it will crash. When it crashes like this I will usually need to wait for around ten to fifteen minutes before turning it back on or else it will crash again immediately when it starts up or when booting up.

Since the problems started my brother has helped me wipe the computer and install a new OS with no change so we assume it isn't a virus. I've tried with the built-in graphics card and with my brother's working one but nothing changed. I've also tried exchanging the power supply, swapping RAM, and booting from a different hard drive. Although a fan, attached to the graphics card, doesn't seem to be working well, we've felt inside and found that none of the components seem to be overheating.

Any assistance on the matter would be great. I hope I've given a good amount of detail but please don't hesitate to ask for more and I will try my best to assist. Thank you.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, in order to help you, you need to list ALL of your exact specs. Note "msi mb" does not really tell us much; post the exact model# Do this with ALL of your specs including the exact pw supply you have installed.

Next post your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This info should be available in the bios or msi may have some monitoring software on the support page for your mb. I never build with msi boards so I do not know if monitoring software is available for your board.

3. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Okay, I'll try and provide as much information as I can.

The model number for my MSI mainboard is 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641). Product ID for power supply is RS-500-PCAR-D3, the

model of graphics card is GEForce-210 and the stick of RAM is a Corsair XMS3 with the model number CMX46X3M1A1333C9.

For the voltage:

- 3.3V is between 3.280 and 3.312

- 5V is 0.042

- 12V is between 9.680 and 9.768

CPU Temp is between 67 F and 97 F.

I'm using HWMonitor to check the temperatures and see three listed under the motherboard.
    TMPIN0 is between 91 F and 102 F
    TMPIN1 is between 111 F and 125 F
    TMPIN2 is between 93 F and 95 F

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, hwm was a fine program in it's day however [as you can see from your readings] that day has LONG pasted. I highly doubt your 12V rail is 9.7V since it would not even pw ON.

As I said either access the info in the bios OR if msi has purpose designed monitoring software on the support page, use that.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you access the info in the bios, let it run in the bios for a few min before writing down the numbers. This will allow temps to stabilize.

6. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the comment. I just went into Bios to check out the real temperatures and my computer actually crashed within ten minutes of checking it out. The voltages were a fairly consistent 11.704 for the 12V, 5.116 for the 5V, and 3.28 for the 3.3V. The temperatures, however, continued to climb as I kept it on. The System started at around 143 F after it had just crashed and reached up to 172 F. The CPU reached up to 185 F.

After noticing these high temperatures I swapped out first the CPU fan and though the CPU fan seemed to work at the same rate, it still crashed at around 168 F for the CPU. My brother then swapped out the CPU and its fan for another one and this one actually didn't seem to crash. I played a game that usually crashes my computer and it played fine for a few minutes which would have crashed my other CPU.

The max temperature I saw for the CPU was around 116 F with the max system temperature being around 109 F. The voltages are pretty similar with 3.296 for the 3.3V, 5.07 for the 5V, and 11.88 for the 12V.

I'd like to think that the CPU I have is just bad and overheating the system but please tell me if there might be any other problems. I'd hate to buy a new CPU and get the same error. Thanks for the assistance thus far.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you have other problems; specifically the low 12V rail. When in the bios, there is no load on the system. When you stress the system, the 12V is going to drop even more.

You posted that you swapped cpu and or hsf. Are you cleaning ALL parts with alcohol and applying new thermal compound each time? If not, it will almost always overheat.

If you are seeing 116F [you are sure it is fahrenheit correct] then that is approx 47C or so. That is ok however a little warm for just running in the bios. I would expect a 4100 to idle in the low to mid 30s. As an example I am running a very overclocked fx4350 @4.8gig; it is running at 30C right now.

8. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

It is interesting that the Bios would crash like that as my computer doesn't often crash unless I am watching a video or playing a game. I wouldn't imagine it to crash unless something was stressing it out as it often doesn't. If my 12V is having problems what I could possibly do to isolate it to see if it can perform better and not crash or to fix the low voltage? Also, do you think I can fix the problems without purchasing a new CPU?

The CPU has some old thermal paste on it, but I have not applied new paste or alcohol when swapping it. Perhaps this could help explain why the other CPU, although it did seem to work and did not crash, was hotter than normal? Still, that CPU did not overheat when replaced either when testing it out or in Bios.

Edit: I just tried booting it up in Bios again (still with the old CPU) after it restarted and found temperatures around 150 F. Before I was in the Bios screen called the Hardware Monitor and this time I stayed mostly in the main Bios screen. This time the temperatures actually lowered as I had Bios open down to 126 F before I restarted my computer.

Could it be possible that the Hardware Monitor could be stimulating my CPU to run and thereby increase the CPU's temperatures until it overheats?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. As I said you must always clean all parts with 91% or 99% alcohol [do not use the 70% stuff you find in the supermarket] then apply new thermal compound. Failure to do this will result in overheating.

The only fix for that is a new, quality pw supply. Recommended brands; corsair [hx, tx, or ax models only] seasonic, or FSP [only the units with the 5yr warranty]

You have not answered. Are you sure you are reading Fahrenheit in the bios and not Celsius? Just about all mb default to C in the bios. It will read F if you set it as such.

10. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Bios displays both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures so they are correct.

So you suggest that I should buy a new power supply? I didn't check the temperatures then but I have exchanged the current power supply with a newer one and it still crashed. Today it seemed to be functioning with a new CPU and the same power supply. I'd rather not buy another power supply unless it's helping to crash my computer.

Do you think I also need to buy a new CPU?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is what I would do;
    1 Pull the hsf off.
    2 Clean ALL parts with 91% or 99% alcohol
    3 Once all parts are clean and dry, apply new thermal compound.
    4 Install the hsf. Now pw ON and check your temps and voltages. See what they say now. Post those here.

If your 12V is still reading low, then you need a new pw supply.

When you install an amd type hsf, here is how it is done correctly.
    With all parts clean and dry, apply a small amount of compound [about the size of a BB or slightly larger] to the center of the cpu. Place the hsf on the cpu and install the spring clips however do not lock down the camlock. Give the hsf a few twists back and forth; now lock down the camlock. Install the fan lead. Done.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice