1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer disables my router!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crimson87, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I guess to get right to it my problem is that when i go to the network and sharing center, or just after a couple weeks it will happen, my computer can no longer connect to the internet or my LAN for that matter. I literally mean that i cant even connect to my router's config page. My router is a Belkin f5d7234-4-bc ver.1 . Also when this happens it compeletly takes my "network" down. MY other computer cant connect to the router or internet either. And yes ive reset the modem and router a million times when this happens :) If i unplug the ethernet to the computer in question and reset the router the other computer works again. Also the last time it happened i noticed that the thing will pop up on the icon in the tray saying limited connectivity or whatever, and then i will do a "repair" and it will say that everything is fixed and that I'm connected to both router and internet but no dice.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network card, rolling drivers back and so forth. (Btw im using the onboard) The device manager says its an nvidia nForce 10/100/1000. I tried getting a newer driver from nvidia, nvidia says get it from Mobo manufacturer, Gateway doesn't seem to have this "exact" model on their support list. This model seems to be like a different version of the original as in dell has drivers for the DX4720 and this is the DX4720-03. I tried to get the LAN driver for the dx4720 but i guess it was just over my head because it didn't have a .exe, so i tried to have windows auto install it, it didn't recognize it as the driver either. The only thing I have found that works is a system restore to before the problem occurred.

I got interrupted several times while typing this, so I'm not sure if that's everything i was gonna say, but ill try to keep a close eye on this, so if you need to know anything else just let me know!

Thanks in advance!
    Crimson

(P.S. Ive never used this forum before but i filled out my computer info with the sysinfo thing, but if it doesn't put it on there or something i will post it in the following post)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the Belkin router is dying. Make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. This may get it to behave better.

If this is a Gateway PC they should have the latest and correct drivers on their web site. If not, try to contact them to ask why not.

3. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 600476 MB, Free - 331066 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, MS-7399
    Antivirus: Malwarebytes-Spybot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, forgot to add this earlier, thought it would post itself^^. Also I acquired this computer from one of my friends, whom was having this same exact problem, also the problem with the router didnt present itself until the moment i got home and hooked this computer up so that is most definitely not the problem. Another detail i remembered is that in the device manager i have a yellow ! next to "microsoft 6to4 adapter". Before the last system restore i tried updating the driver for that, and uninstalling it. No change.

4. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

Hi, im not sure if this was the correct place to post this, my opinion is that its due to some strange interaction between the network card and the router, caused by the network card, which is why i posted it here. If you think i would be better off posting in another category, can you point me in that direction?

Thanks,
    Crimson

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can't think of a better forum. :)

I'm concerned that Gateway doesn't have the correct driver. Did you friend make hardware modifications?

Is this a fresh install of Vista, or is it the same one that had been used by the previous owner?

Try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

First off, Thanks for your help with this!

No this is not a fresh install, and the only hardware mod is the graphics card, which i installed personally when he first bought the computer.

I'm not sure if its related or not but another problem i have found is that all the jacks in the front (USB, Mic, Audio out) behave strangely. they work half of the time and half of the time they dont. I found a setting in the realtex control panel (Disable front jack detection) to bypass the problem, but before that everytime i would turn the computer on i would have to pull the green sound connector about a 5th of the way out and then push it back in to make it work, sometimes repeating the process several times in order to achieve sound. Without having the same work-around for the USB's i have to do the same exact thing for them to work.

I'm pretty sure this is a software problem, the network issue, but obviously i don't know and that's why I'm here asking for help. I'm thinking a fresh install of vista would solve this problem, but the hard drive doesn't have one of those hidden partitions for a reset or whatever, and the computer didn't seem to come with a disk either. i was hoping to come up with a fix on here because buying a vista disk is not really within my realm of possibility right now.

Anyway, I'm gonna give your idea a shot right now, i will report back ASAP!

7. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

Alright, so that doesnt seem to have fixed it, and i was wrong about the "Network and sharing" thing. It actually happens when i go to " My Network", by going to the network and sharing center, then click on the router, and then it shows the Shared folders for this computer and my other computer. As soon as it loads those folders up the internet goes down.

This time along the way i found another work around. If after the problem occurs i reset the computer and the router at the same time, it fixes it without the need of a system restore, but it still doesnt fix the underlying problem because if i access that folder it just happens again.

So, anymore ideas kind sir? :)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Microsoft requires that OEMs provide a way to "restore" to the pre-installed Windows. So, Gateway must have provided an installation DVD, set of Recovery DVDs or a Recovery partition. And if it was a Recovery partition the original owner should have made a set of Recovery DVDs or CDs. If all media has been lost it may be possible to buy Recovery DVDs from Gateway for a nominal cost.

9. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

So you think at this point my only fix is a fresh install?

10. anwesh_sinha

anwesh_sinha

Hi Crimson,

I think, there might be a problem with the 2 properties setting of your Wireless network card. Please have a look at my post stating "Wireless Network not detecting" at
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1027075-solved-wireless-network-not-detecting.html

In brief, you can check two properties "Location" and "SSID AutoPromote" under Wireless adapter configure option.

Please have a look into my post for clear explanation. Look at the last post from me in that thread. Hope this will help you.

Thanks,
    Anwesh

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know what is wrong or what will fix it. I do know that when you get something second hand there are unknowns about how it was used and what defects it may have. When the device is a computer you can start with a brand new operating system, which eliminates all the possible software problems.

12. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

hey Anwesh,
    Just checked your post, and i dont have time right now, but will definitely look into it. Although im not using wireless, im using a 2ft ethernet cord to the router. Since its a problem i dont seem to understand i will look into it anyways just to be safe.
    Thanks for your input and will report back asap after i get back.

13. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

Anwesh,
    It turns out i dont have a wireless card, so i cant really do what you have asked of me :(

14. Crimson87

Crimson87 Thread Starter

15. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Try disabling uPnP on the router. uPnP allows computers on you network to configure your router. This is a vulnerability because it allows malware to configure your router too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice