1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer doesnt seem to want to live.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by riftwalker, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riftwalker

riftwalker Thread Starter

Ok, for all I know of this is an interesting if not unique prob. I try to boot up my computer, that was recently transported a fair bit of distance(I moved form one city to another), and the hard drive doesnt want to boot, after the BIOS screen I get a message saying "Invalid Partition Table, Setup cannot continue." this spells bad. I cant acess the BIOS on that machine, my keyboard doesnt seem to want to respond. Any Ideas/Thoughts on how I could fix this?(too much space in my wallet not enough filler)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open it up, make sure ALL the cables and expansion cards are firmly seated, also check the RAM modules. The "moved a long distance" is the clue here. :)

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

In addition to what Johnwill suggest, check to see if the CMOS battery has become dislodged. Also make sure the keyboard and mouse are not reversed. If all this fails, clear the CMOS by using the appropriate jumper on the motherboard or removing the battery for a few minutes.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

4. riftwalker

Everything is Firmly seated, I had it disassebled for transport, but I dont have my original Primary Master, all I have left is the slave. any ideas on how to format the drive without having to hook it up to a working computer?(I cant open the one im posting with)
    And I have a usb mouse and a ps/2 keyboard how could I mix em up? :rolleyes:

5. McTimson

McTimson

Is the jumper on that hard drive set to master, or is it still set to slave?

6. riftwalker

Master, and I reset the CMOS battery, and only have my keyboard plugged in, and it[keyboard] doesnt work.

7. hammerbill

hammerbill

what brand is the hard drive? Many manufacturers will let you download a utility on their website that will low level format if wanted and sometimes do a regular format. Maxtor has some good stuff. You can make a regular bootdisc by going to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and they have a good selection for you for free with or withour cdrom drivers. Be sure to have at least one floppy available. With this disc you can run fdisk. If you have data you don't want to lose, try a partition copy program like ghost and copy to another drive.

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Try a new battery. I recently repaired a machine under much the same circumstances. It was moved from another city to here and the owner could not get it to boot and ( keyboard would not work). When I checked the voltage on the battery it was only about 1.6V. Replaced it with a new one and all was well.

9. riftwalker

well, I'll see about a battery and i've made a whole set of boot disks so, if all else fails, i'll get a new computer, and make my current one into a new aged sculpture.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you mean you don't have the primary master - did you take it out or is it not being detected? What version of Windows is on the drive? In the BIOS try to autodetect the drives - does it find everything correctly?

Also the tip about the keyboard connection is good. The mouse and keyboard can plug in the same port but will not work if not in the right one. The keyboard generally plugs into the port closest to the outside edge.

11. riftwalker

I have two different connections for the keyboard an mouse, ps/2 and usb respectfully. And when I moved I physically lost my primary master hdd there should be win2k on the drive, just as a format. Bios detects all the drives that are plugged in. the problem is that even when I get past the bios data screen, I cant use the keyboard.

12. JohnWill

I'd start with a bootable floppy and get the keyboard working, since you aren't going to make much progress if that doesn't work. Are you sure you don't have the keyboard plugged into the mouse PS/2 port?

13. riftwalker

Well one says keyboard and the other says mouse, im sure I know which hole to shove things, and I cant even get the keyboard working with a boot disk (went to the site named abouve and made every boot disk possible)

14. JohnWill

Well, if the keyboard works in the BIOS, but doesn't work when Windows boots, I'd say that something is corrupted in Windows. OTOH, if the keyboard stops working when booting from a floppy, or doesn't work in the BIOS, then I'd say you have a keyboard or motherboard problem.

15. riftwalker

And if It doesnt work at all? Time to get a new keyboard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice