1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Computer/Explorer/ Control Panel won't open

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ishaya, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ishaya

Ishaya Thread Starter

I cannot get the windows explorer, Control Panel, My Computer or any Settings windows to open.
    The rectangle error window opens and says:
    Explorer has caused an error in INEB.DLL. Explorer will now close.

All programs run fine. Internet Explorer 5.5 works fine. It seems like part of the windows program is just missing.

Any suggestions?

2. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

... suggestion
    If you can get into windows
    - find that file "ineb.dll" - and rename it to "old_ined.dll" * reboot - that should do the trick :)

cheers
    Louise
    MDM

Welcome - have fun in here!!

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

INEB.DLL is a dll installed by an Advertising toolbar called ILookup

If you have one of this type item installed, you probably have more. And some are not so harmless. They caninvade your provacy and like this one, cause crashes. As a start, please Download and run Spybot Search and destroy. Here's a link to a page with instructions. At the bottom of this page is a link to the actual download.

http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/

Here's a link to a page with more information on this partuclar toolbar :

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ILookup.html

4. Ishaya

Ishaya Thread Starter

Thank You! My Explorer window will now open.

I downloaded Spybot and ran it first. It cleaned out the bad files it found. Then I did the ILookup fix recommended in the other post. The Spybot removed the ILookup folder so I ran the dos window commands. They worked great. I reset my Internet settings and then deleted the ineb key with regedit. I rebooted and now everything is back to normal.

This really beats reinstalling windows!
    :D

And thanks for the quick responses.

5. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

thanks Mosaic for taking me further on this!
    I did not realize it was related to ILookup :mad: (which I did indeed find on my machine some time ago)

cheers
    MDM

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice