Status
Not open for further replies.

My Computer Folder windows open very slow

736 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  razorsmile 
#1 ·
Symptoms:

1. My Computer takes 2-3 mins to open
2. Similiarly in any 'find folder dialogue' to save/move/copy files
3. 'send to' on right click also seems to take a long time to open - can hang explorer and restart it
4. 'My Computer' cascade menu in 'Start' menu takes long time - can hang explorer and restart it

(At least in 3 and 4 this is what I think is happening - everything locks and then the desktop will clear apart from the bground picture before the icons and start bars coming back)

5. a number of icons seem to have become corrupted, on search, run and help in start menu, the notepad icon for text files

Background:

it's an AMD1ghz, 256mb Ram, 20gb hd, laptop. Winxp Home SP1. The fan had gone for a burton and after finding out i couldn't get a replacement from Time eventually opened it up myself, cleaned out the fan holder and wiggled it till it started again. It's still noisy but at leats it's running until i find a replacement...however I moved all my data (doctoral research etc) onto another machine at home and then networked the two togther via a Belkin router. The router doesn't broadcast IP's it seems so I have to add netwrok places manually and did so...minor hiccup from yesterday when the network set up as today i had to reboot the Cable Modem and the other PC had a changed IP address afterwards so I couldn't conect the two this morning. Anyway, after sorting that all out and changing the IP addresses on my laptop I now have a wierd problem, symptoms above.

Note...My Documents on the laptop points at the network resource (as does My Music and My Pictures by default) This is the main thing I need to keep running to be able to use the laptop - sort of a backup safety feature for work in case the laptop goes down hard.

I have scanned for Adware and removed and also used Trend's housecall and removed 5 netsky worms. Opening My Computer still leaves it searching though...

It looks like it's something to do with the network and it relation to explorer but i just don't know enough about their interaction to work out what. Any help or other suggestions most greatfully received...;-)

ttfn

matt lee

See less See more
#2 ·
thought this was a random glitch earlier but appears to be something consistent:

symptom 6:

when downloading a file (.exe say) to the applications subfolder in My Documents (which is on the other pc via a netwrok), when it reaches the last moment (as it finalises the transfer) it _reboots_ the other machine...don't get that one at all.

additional attempts to solve: so far have included deleting the NameSpace key as per the info here
http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/atips/atips14.shtml

unfortunately that didn't help.

ta

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.