1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer freezes upon startup, need help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by evasive, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evasive

evasive Thread Starter

Basically, a week ago, my comp out of no where started to freeze upon startup.
    I have a WinXP, and when it hits that blue screen with the welcome message, my comp just freezes when it says "Loading your personal settings..."

What I've tried so far:
    -Safe mode works, so I've disabled all all startup programs through msconfig
    -Removed all newly installed programs in the week prior to problem
    -Did a Virus scan, found couple trojans, removed them, problem persists
    -Ran disk cleanup about 3 times
    None of that solved anything.

Now, one thing that did allow me to get to my desktop was...I did a system restore to a point 2 weeks ago. I restarted, and it worked, it did not freeze on the blue screen. But today, I have lost those system restore points (they just aren't there anymore), and cant restore my system back to that point. There are some new system restore points that are more recent times, and I've tried restoring to those points, and that does not fix the problem still.

SIGH how do i fix this? It's really pissin me off........

2. MerryWidow62

MerryWidow62

I'm having the exact same problem on two PCs located at two different locations and neither are connected in any form. Both running XP SP2. One is a Dell Optiplex (12/05) and one a Dell Dimension 8300 (12/03). My 3 other PCs (of same or older dates) are running similar software malware programs but seem unaffected. I performed the same solutions as the previous poster but alas, problem still exists. The only thing different from these two PCs than the others is that both are running Windows Defender. All 5 systems are running AVG and Symantec Corporate Edition virus protection. Spoke with Dell Gold Support and their only conclusion was to restore to my Acronis mirror images. I'm not willing to give up that easily!

From my very limited technical knowledge, it just seems to me that my malware is in conflict even when I disable all Startup items in msconfig and reboot. They still just hang; however, I can access via Safe Mode. The problem started on or about June 20th for both systems.

Any clues to point me in the right directions would be greatly appreciated!

Karen

3. evasive

evasive Thread Starter

Ok this is what you do.

I tried everything, I posted this problem are like 10 different forums, I literally tried 20 different things to fix this and nothin worked.
    and just as I was about to reformat.. (had the windows xp all ready)

I thought to myself, hmmmmmmm maybe its my antivirus program? (NO ONE TOLD ME TO DO THIS, this was just a magic thought that came by)

I UNINSTALLED AVG ANTI-VIRUS.

GUESS WHAT PROBLEM FIXED!

Comp restarts just like normal now.

So it's probably your anti virus program thats messing you up.
    Do that.

4. MerryWidow62

MerryWidow62

Thanks for the suggestion! It worked!

I have 5 PCs running AVG. Now, three of the 5 are freezing at boot. I emailed AVG tech support. They sent a .bat file to run and requested the resulting .txt file to be emailed back. We'll see what response they give.

In the meantime, the only way I can get AVG to run is to unstall the program before powering down and re-installing after booting. It doesn't take long and is better than running without the malware support but it's still a pain. Needless to say, I don't power the machines down unless a storm is approaching.

5. evasive

evasive Thread Starter

Forget AVG just use another antivirus program. Norton, Kaspersky, Nod32..all can be found to be downloaded(with cracks) on torrent or file sharing programs. And they don't give you the freezing bootup problem.

6. vicks

vicks

I believe you should be running ONLY 1 anti virus program at a time. Running 2 of them will cause conflicts.
    Vicks

7. devil_himself

devil_himself

8. baybehh

baybehh

how can i uninstall it if my computer wont even start up? it wont let me do ti in safe mode. wow help

9. deej130

deej130

i downloaded nod32 from bit torrent on one of my PCs and now after the welcome screen appears, and i go on to an account, it just freezes.. the program nod32 appears on the screen and now when i click on a program it says error, file path cannot be found.. it says it on things like my documents etc.. is there any way of deleting the anti virus and getting my comp back to normal??

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!