1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer glitches and freezes when I try to use a game or cd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sln2520, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sln2520

sln2520 Thread Starter

Ive tried to download several games and once I put the disc in the computer stops working and lines go across the screen and I can't use it. I have to press the power off button and turn it back on to get it to work again but still the same result with the discs. Help :( I'm desperate.

2. CJS23

CJS23

You mention both downloading and inserting CDs. Are you burning these to CD? Do the CDs work on other PCs?

3. sln2520

sln2520 Thread Starter

No here's the exact problem that I'm having right now. I have spore that I've purchased a few years back, it works fine on my grandmas computer (I downloaded and tested it earlier today) so I tried it on mine and it doesn't work I've only used it one other time so this download was my last one. I couldn't even get to the download part. I also tried my roller coaster tycoon 3 and the lines go across the screen and it glitches and freezes.

4. CJS23

CJS23

5. PcTestCard_com

PcTestCard_com

Check the video card and the RAM.

The cheapest method is take the video card(if dedicated) and the RAM off the system, then use a paper rubber to clean the Pins.

Also, reseating the CD/DVD rom data cable may help.

Hope this works.
    Bill
    Tech Manager, WPTinc.

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

7. sln2520

sln2520 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57, x64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 958 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 140639 MB, Free - 56141 MB; D: Total - 11985 MB, Free - 1912 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 30EA
    Antivirus: None

8. black-wolf

black-wolf

You have a laptop with onboard graphics there are not many games that you can play. What games are you having trouble with?

9. sln2520

sln2520 Thread Starter

The only game I want to play is spore really. I just tried one other game, the sims civilization I think I'm not sure on the name im not at home to check for sure

10. black-wolf

black-wolf

11. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Your computer is not up to date either. You are missing a lot of updates including SP1 & SP2. Also, I notice you are not using an Anti-Virus program? That will bite you in the you know where sooner than later.

12. sln2520

sln2520 Thread Starter

Well I just did all my windows updates but now the computer is off, starts up, gets to a black screen then shuts off again. Repeat.

13. black-wolf

black-wolf

When you do windows update you should only do the critical updates. Don't let windows update your drivers.
    We also don't recommend the use of registry cleaners on this site.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners
    I would recommend getting an antivirus. Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast are both free and very good.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063633