1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer has deleted everything!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by IhaveQs, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IhaveQs

IhaveQs Thread Starter

I wasnt sure where this would fit in.. first time, sorry.

I have a windows XP.

Today I turned on my computer and discovered that all my files where missing. Atleats all my programs where set with errors. The icons all turn white with a small window like box in the middle. When I click them they give me an error that says windows cannot open the file.

My music and documets are still there but all my other programs wont start. Would I have to delete everything and install it all back?

If so, that would also be a problem because I cant get into my add and remove program. I click it and it just doesnt pop up.

Like I said, only my documets are left. Everything else wont run properly.

Does anyone have any idea of why this happened? Was it a virus? or do you have any idea of how to fix it? Any help would be great, thank you.

2. IhaveQs

IhaveQs Thread Starter

anyone??

3. IhaveQs

IhaveQs Thread Starter

4. HalTrout

HalTrout

You could try starting in safe mode. If startup is successful and you have an antivirus software, then run it.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you confuse this forum for a chat room. You posted your query 16 minutes ago, and many people only visit the forums once a day. You'll normally have to wait 12-24 hours for meaningful responses.

First off, I suggest you backup whatever you can, unless you already have everything backed up.

Next, how about some specifics? Does the system boot up to the desktop? If so, it sounds like the associations for EXE files may have been changed.

6. IhaveQs

IhaveQs Thread Starter

what do you mean starting in safe mode?

7. IhaveQs

IhaveQs Thread Starter

John Will: Well sorry, like I said, I just registered, so I'm still unaware of how this all works.

Also yes the system does boot up to the desktop.

8. spruce

spruce

Can you do a system restore?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

To start in safe mode, hit the F8 key before Windows starts booting. I just start pounding on it during the BIOS POST. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576488