My computer has failed recently, need help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fragmaster24

I was walking out of my friends house early in the morning while leaving a LAN party. There was frost on the stairs outside and I slipped and my computer landed harder than I would have liked. Nothing inside was dilodged or immediately broken. When I got home, I set everything up and checked the wiring to make sure everything was plugged in properly. My computer booted to a black screen with just an underscore blinking in the top left. I do not remember seeing my Asus mobo's splash screen. I turned my comp off cause I thought my hard drives crashed from the jolt of the fall. I plugged each of my harddrives in seperately and checked to make sure they were spinning, and both were. Then I plugged both my HDD's back in and put in a windows cd to see if that would boot and I could reformat/reinstall/try something with that. But it wouldn't boot from the cd, and since the mobo's splash screen never shows up, I can't go into the bios to check the boot priority. (I know the key to go into the bios, its delete, but even when I spam it while booting, it doesn't enter the bios). I don't think my computer is even POSTing. I hear one click when my comp boots, but its not even a beep, I think its just my HD starting up. Now, after this, every time I boot my comp, it doesn't put out any signal to my monitor. I thought maybe my video card took some damage in the fall, so I took the video card out of my mom's comp to test with, but to no avail. I also tested another monitor to see if my monitor was unable to pick up the signal, but both fail to receive anything. My video card is a Radeon 9800XT with both DVI and VGA outputs, and I have tried both output, and neither of them send a signal to both my old 17" CRT monitor and my new 27" widescreen LCD. So now I'm sitting in a pile of sh*t in my room, not gonna lie. My computer turns on, the processor, all the fans, the HDD's (as far as spinning, still don't know if the data is recoverable) and the dvd drive work, and the green LED on the motherboard is on, so its getting power. Neither my keyboard, nor my mouse have power it seems. Pressing the lock keys (num, caps, and scroll) doesn't turn on the corresponding LEDs, and my optical mouse isn't shining its red ray of hope. So right now, I'm guessing my problem is my mobo? not quite sure, maybe someone can help me here.
My specs:
-intel 3.2GHz (e series)
-Radeon 9800XT with a ginormous heatsink/fan attached, (its the heatsink pipe).
-160GB seagate barracuda, 120GB WD HDD both 7200 RPM
-ASUS X800S-X Mobo
-NEC DVD burner 3550A (the popular one)

most probably the motherboard. or the processor come to think of it (if it had an enormous heatsink attached the impact of the crash could damage it)
it's not clear whether you get past the very initial DOS screen where hard drives/cd/dvd drives are enumerated. Do you only get the blinking underscore on booting? If you do get past the fist dos screen even if slowly and then get stuck with the underscore, it's the main hard drive. If you only get the underscore it's the mobo. :(

It's best if you don't test it anymore or the hard drives may get damaged further.

Do you have access to a motherboard you can borrow? maybe you can run a test there connecting one drive/ component at a time.

The data may be recoverable, depending on whether the HDs have sustained heavy damage. (but hey, I've heard of data being recovered from a HD that's been in a fire so you never know :eek: )

good luck!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd start by checking all the connections and reseating all the memory and expansion boards. It takes a serious jolt to actually break a MB inside a case.

Fragmaster24

well right now, I can't see anything. I explained that my video card isn't sending out any signal, and neither was the video card in my moms computer. I think the mobo is just fried, but its not like I have another mobo sitting around for my processer specs, so I'd have to buy another to test with, just a total pain, not gonna lie. And I hate removing my processor, just to effing test on another mobo.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't imagine the processor being damaged, those things can withstand a lot more G's than a drop from a few feet while connected to a board. I'd bet money and give you long odds that the processor is fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online