1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer has frozen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joeshmo, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

Windows XP and an EMachines M5309 computer

My computer was not finding windows after turning it on, so I tried to use restore CD provided with my computer. However, part way through the restore... my computer has frozen and is not continuing to install the files. Currently, i am only at 3% completion so I am unsure what to do next. I do not want to just turn the computer off... is there a button I can press or should I try turning off the computer and try installing again?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your time,
    Joe

2. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

If your computer has frozen, you should just restart it again and try that restore CD once more. Keep in mind that all your data will be removed if it's not already.

Hope this helps

3. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

After trying to reboot and run the restore CD again... it gives me the message "Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT" and when I press ok it says invalid destination drive.

What now??

Then it said abort invalid destination drive ....

What is really strange is then it kicks out the CD and says WINDOWS XP Restore Complete but when I press a button to reboot the system, I still can't bring up Windows...

4. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Does the "Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT" error come up after it spit out the CD or before?

Try to choose the CD as the first boot option. It should be F2, Del or Esc when the computer restarts to bring up the menu then choose CD Drive to run the restore again. Apparently it didn't complete 'cause it's missing a file. Let me know.

5. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

The "Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT" error comes up before the CD is spit out... and I tried what you said regarding pressing F2 during reboot and it is slowly running the process of Windows Restore. Hopefully it will not freeze again. I just do not understand why it would freeze up in the middle of restoring the operating system.

6. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Sometimes you can't explain everything with computers. Hope it all works out. Let me know.

7. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

So far it is at 22% completion ... is it supposed to take so long to copy?? Still waiting for it to lock up again but so far so good!

8. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Sometimes it takes a while, just be patient.

9. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

It seems like my computer has frozen again after four hours of restoring the operating system... and says that four seconds remain. Should I restart the computer, try to install again, or wait to see if the computer finishes up??

10. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

How long has it been since it said it had four seconds remaining?

11. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

More than 10 to 15 minutes... I know, not good is it...

12. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

It just came up with the same error as before "Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT" even though it says it only needed four more seconds...."Cache Write Failure, result = 1, drive = 1, sectors 28225 to 28227. If this problem persists, contact Symantec Technical Support at http://service.symantec.com

13. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

What's the progress on it, does it still says the same?

14. joeshmo

joeshmo Thread Starter

and when it rebooted, it states the same error message "Operating system not found"... so I guess the four and a half hours were wasted

15. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

"Cache Write Failure, result = 1, drive = 1, sectors 28225 to 28227. If this problem persists, contact Symantec Technical Support at http://service.symantec.com

This means the hard drive is has bad sectors. You would need to buy a new hard drive and reinstall the Operating System.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!