1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer has issues! internet, cd, +

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VolunteerGirl, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolunteerGirl

VolunteerGirl Thread Starter

Hello. I am not very techie, so here it goes:
    I have 2 computers: 1 desktop and 1 laptop. I have one lonely dsl modem. I have been plugging the ethernet? (wide phone plug thing) into the laptop to do some things and the desktop for others or if the kids are playing on one, I use the other, etc.

The internet connection seems sort of flakey on the desktop. It doesn't always connect, it sometimes takes a long time to get the connection to really work.

The other primary problem with the desktop is that it doesn't always recognize a cd or cd-rom or dvd-rom when I put it in the drive. It almost always recognizes Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Indiana Jones 2, and Lego Star Wars (the complete saga). It doesn't recognize the Spiderman:friend or foe game or many of my other discs. Sometimes it recognizes it for awhile, and mid-game, it stalls and says to insert the disc which is still in the drive! (& by the way is it disk or disc?)

So, most of the time I do things with the laptop and move everything on a disc to thumb drive and then move the thumb drive to the desktop and load from there, and sometimes that works, but it sometimes doesn't because it wants it on drive letter whatever - cd-rom, and it is on another letter - thumb drive.

I would like to solve this problem, but I've been living with it so far.

So to jump topics a bit, I bought a Linksys G-router. I hooked it up and followed all the instructions but it doesn't really seem to work work. It says in one place that I have an internet connection, but I only get the message that I get when I am not connected to the internet. Then I do the thing with the router software where I have it fix my connection or reset or diagnose or whatever (sorry, I am writing this from my volunteer work- not home) and I get the internet long enough to have my homepage come up (swagbucks.com) and then I can sometimes do a search. Sometimes I can actually click on and get a page after that, but I have never had it go longer than that one page before having to click on the fixing my connection thing again.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section and that this was such a long drawn out question with multiple parts. I would like to sum it up as - WHAT DO I DO? I am able to return the g-router if that wasn't the right thing to get.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice