1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer hates me :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by punkinkitty, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. punkinkitty

punkinkitty Thread Starter

Ok, I'll won't be the first to admit that this machine baffles me.

I got a brandy-new motherboard and processor. I checked that they would work together. Its a 800-M from Elitegroup and a Pentium D 3.3 . I know that it should work but on turning the blasted computer on its been a hair-pulling experience.

I turn it on from the wall.

I press the button on the front (see how I wow you with my techno-jargen)

It loads BIOS and goes into the "you didn't shutdown WINDOWS properly, choose an option."

I choose (doesn't matter what) and it resets after 3 seconds.....

... and says again you didn't shut down windows properly, choose an option.

It also doesn't allow me to ACCESS BIOS. ESC and F-1 doesn't do it.

When I unplug the hard drive and start up... it goes smoothly I guess. It wants to boot.
    I try to let it but the whole LACK of a hard drive thing I suppose would be a minor problem.

Also (yes more fun, kiddies) IT has a problem "turning over". When I turn it on sometimes (now Iv'e had the board plugged in and trying to work with it about 1 day) it doesn't turn on the processor. Just the drives, fans, and other minor blinky lights. When I went to the site for the board it stated to access the BIOS and tweek a setting because its a memory stick/board problem.

I am not looking forward to paying someone $55 to look and go "Ok press this move this and BINGO your fixed cash or charge?" So I fall on sore knees (its not a feather-weight system) and ask for help.

Thank You

2. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo

hello there, what is the wattage of your powersupply and for that matter, what else do you have in the system?

and you should be able to see a picture (a default motherboard picture) that says press DEL not esc for setup.

3. norton850

norton850

"You didn't shut Windows down properly"
    What version of Windows are you using? If it's XP after you put in the new hardware did you reinstall Windows or just put the HD back in? Do you have a full install XP CD?

Doesn't load BIOS
    Maybe you aren't pressing the right key. Did you look in the MB manual? Is the keyboard hooked up correctly?

"Turning Over"
    Not sure what you mean. Is it all the drives spin up but you don't see anything on your monitor?

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

I have to ask, did you install this motherboard and processor? Really, it's important to know your level of experience.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

My first thought is that you replaced the motherboard and processor then just plugged in the old drive with the operating system already installed. If so that won't work. Also the proper key is probably Del if not F1.

6. punkinkitty

Why no. The original board I installed myself. Worked like a dream for 2.5 years. The drive worked well too. In the end when it died I was told it was fried and the processor too. This was confirmed by the $55 dollar exam by the local comp guys (respected and trusted). This new one my brother (who says Oh I KNOW more then you about computers... I'll do it) installed.

AND... he said good luck turning it on and skipped merrily off to college. I have never had this kind of problem before. Oh and with the drive hooked-up it's not allowing me to boot. Yes I said boot. I know this is trying but bear with me. Never have I had a problem like this with a computer. Even building it (this one) from scratch (except the case). I did. I was very proud and it worked and everything. Gold Star for me. *

The other parts of my computer are pretty standard:

300w PCMCIS power supply. No where in the mother board manual does it say the wattage or kind of power supply. I am using the existing and it is compatable. From what I hear, power supples are not long lasting. When the system is on but doesn't want to run the processor (as explained in the first post), everything else but the board runs. Drives, cd drives, fans; even the processor fan. Just no screen or "beeps".
    (again, your in awe of my computer jargon)

A 60 gig hard drive which Iv'e had for 3 years and counting
    (tested on separate system and funtioning)

A CD-Write/ ROM drive (also happy and funtioning)

An A drive which has no use but to fill in a hole in the front (not connected)

A monitor, a mouse, a keyboard, and a six-year old to make them sticky.

and yes :p brainless as I am, your right. DEL brings up BIOS. But as for funtioning it still repeats the cycle of not shuting down windows properly (XP), resetting system, loading-up and you didn't shut down windows properly screen.

I figure I will replace the power supply and wipe the drive squeaky-clean and make a new go at it. I am a PC gamer and so is my six-yea old. I like W.o.W. but getting the computer working will make me happy. Didn't even get a chance to see Burning Crusade but getting Zoo Tycoon 2 running will keep me out of the doghouse with the kid.

Thank You and keep em' comming. I never said I knew it all so all advice is very welcome.

7. norton850

norton850

You may not have to completely wipe clean the hard drive (although that should work). It is possible to try and do a repair install. Is that something you are interested in trying?

8. punkinkitty

Thank You All!!!

Through the combined assistance from you guys and 3 brain-cells my brothers and I have together, the mess is fixed and all due to a basic lack of memory on my part about Microsoft and what not.

Windows is reinstalling and all is happy sunshine and rainbows.

TY.

Not really a solved as much as a OH YEAH now I remember.

I will continue coming here for assistance and support!!!

TY norton850, griffinspc, and kame_sanjo

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Yes but same question, did he just plug in the HD with the existing OS and that's what you're trying to boot? Ah, just going to post this but I see you have it solved. I left my original thought since I suspect that was the problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice