1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Computer Icon is gone, no really, it is!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rikku, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home Edition...

After browsing into My Computer I moved 50 files - 10 were left as duplicates, so I pressed DEL to delete them (since they were still selected).

Instead, without any message, the My Computer screen vanished as did the My Computer Icon.

Yes, you heard me right, the My Computer icon was seemingly deleted from the desktop.

I went into the Recycle Bin as well as the folder where I had been moving files to. No trace of it. Its gone.

I thought it was impossible to remove My Computer from the screen.

So where is it??? Help guys! :confused:

2. $teve

$teve

rikku,this is all i could find for now,only thing is,its a dead link,sorry.......ill keep looking.

3. $teve

$teve

4. $teve

$teve

5. $teve

$teve

6. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

thanks $teve,

Ya know, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think that Windows XP has ANY icons on the desktop by default. So maybe it is more conceivable that it could have been deleted....

Wonder if someone can confirm this??

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi rikku........ it doesn't matter if its on the desktop as long as you have it in windows...
    go to search & see if you can find it

8. tomsxp

tomsxp

Do you still have it on the START MENU? Then just right click on it and pick show on desktop, from drop down menu or you can drag it to the desktop

9. kramnnim

kramnnim

Doesnt tweakUI have an option to enable/disable it? Or in the customize desktop options...

10. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

At this point I am probably beating a dead horse here but yes, you can delete my computer from the desktop and as tomsxp stated right click my computer in the start menu or go to display/desktop tab/customize button in control panel and select icons you want on the desktop.

11. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

tomsxp,

you got it... I figured that out last night when I went home to look for it.

I guess I've just been brainwashed that its near impossible to remove/add certain icons to the desktop and with XP it is so easy to just ditch the My Computer Icon...

Thanks everyone!!!!

:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!