My computer in awful shape

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Animositas

My computer doesn't run like it used to. I freed up about 20 gigs of space today by deleting old files and games. When I used MS Defrag to analyze my drive, average fragments per file was 3.25, and drive fragmentation was 33%. I haven't deframented my computer in about 2 years D: My computer doesn't start up nearly as quickly as it used to, and loading times ingame are atrocious.

Please reccomend a course of action to me to rehabilitate my computer! I am downloading PerfectDisk right now (I skimmed the forums). What other programs or other things could I to to make my computer tolerable?

(PS, please be careful reccomending cleanup programs. My dad uses the Netscape mail client and I accidentally deleted all his addresses, inbox, etc)

What are your system specs?
Run an anti-virus program and a spyware cleaner. Microsoft anti-spyware beta is pretty good and it's free. If you don't have an anti-virus program and don't want to pay for one. Get Grisoft AVG anti-virus. It works as well as most of the big ones like McAfee and NAV, PC-Cillin etc.

Animositas

Running Spybot S&D right now, I've got AVG Anti-virus, and it is useless. It scans, finds viruses, but will not fix them or quarantine them, or delete them after it has found them. It scans every Sunday and Thrusday at 3:00AM anyways.. System specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8GHz 512MB RAM
256 MB GeForce 6200 (factory overclocked)
Avance AC'97 Stock Sound Driver
Windows XP - Home Edition
Unknown Power Supply
Unknown Motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online