1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My computer is connecting to a game through port 8484, when it should through 8585.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Endgame, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endgame

Endgame Thread Starter

I have two computers in my network, one is my mom's computer Dell Dimension 2350, Windows XP, which is directly connected to our router, a Linksys BEFW11S4, and my computer, Dell Dimension 2400, Windows XP, which connects to the router with a Wireless-B Network Adapter, Linksys WUSB11.

Now, the problem is that on my computer, as soon as I log into Japanese Maple Story (Bare with me now, it may sound like a game problem, but it isn't.), I get disconnected, but on mom's computer, it stays connected.

On both computers, I ran CMD, and typed "netstat -an", and it was then that I found exactly what was wrong: my computer was trying to connect through port 8484, my mom's was connecting through port 8585.

So, I knew what was wrong, but not how to fix it, but it really made no sense to me, seeing as it was installed on both computers the exact same way, from the exact same site. Also, the Global, or english Maple Story is also installed on this computer, and it connects through port 8585.

Anyway, I called Linksys tech support, but they have proven to be useless, they believe the problem is with the game, but as I said, both were installed the same way, on computers that are pretty much like. Not to mention that all the Maple Story setup programs for both versions do is configure the monitor settings. The problem lies within the wireless adapter or the computer.

Anyway, what I am basically asking is, how can I get this computer to use 8585 for the Japanese Maple Story client?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice